Chapter 3

The next day, I woke up and sensed that today is going to be different from the other days of my life.

With this hope, I got up from bed; took a shower; changed into my usual clothes and went downstairs only to hear Tiago shouting at me to be on time. I ignored him, took my bag and went out.

Today will be different. I thought and walked on the pavement when my bag was pulled. I instantly turned around and punched the person on his jaw. I am a monster's daughter but I do have learnt something from him. I thought.

+++

I reached the diner as Coraline handed me a cup of yogurt. I ate it without complaining and started my work. Even if Caroline is my boss she takes cares of me like I am her daughter. This sometimes gets on my nerves.

It all started like my daily routine, me taking orders and serving them to customers. It's always the same and this time no one was staring at me. Thank God! I am invisible to all.

+++

At the end of the day, I took my things and exited from the back of the restaurant. I saw Justin leaning against the wall, his hands crossed, eyes looking at the ground with a swollen jaw.

I ran up to him and said,"What happened?" I touched the swollen area.

"You punched me." He didn't yelled nor snapped, I took my hand back and looked at my feet. I was feeling the way I felt in middle school when I had done something wrong. "It's okay, because I shouldn't have pulled your bag." He placed his hands on my shoulder. His eyes searched for mine.

"Does it hurt?" I asked avoiding eye contact. I couldn't just make up my mind to see him.

"No it doesn't. But man, you've got a rough hand." He said and I couldn'ttell if it was supposed to be an insult or a praise.

"Can we head home?"

We started walking in silence. Guilt is gushing through me like an unstoppable waterfall. The silence is eating me up, "Why were you following me in the morning?" I said. That's the best I can come up with. I had to stop all the thoughts crowding my mind.

"Wanted to ask your well being." That's nice.

"I am fine. You?"

"If by having a bruised jaw not hurting me, I am fine. Do you want to have dinner with me, sometime?" That is what he wanted to tell me.

Fear shakes me. Tiago would kill me if I went out of the house after five with a boy. A neighbour who I barely know. "No, not now." maybe.

"Okay, I guess, bye." He said as we stood infront of my house. Why did this walk have to end it was amazing.

"Bye. See you tonight." Why did you say that, dumbhead?

"Yeah, sure." I went into my house. Tiago was not there. Good, he is not here. I opened the fridge and tried to find something to eat.

Someone clears his throat, I curse in my mind and turn around it's. . .

------------
Author's Note:
Who do you think it must be?