Chapter 60 - The Padawan

Naluma reached out with the Force, concerned that she did not feel Luke. He must be close enough, even if he landed on the lower pad. She reached out again, feeling nothing. Absolutely nothing. It reminded her of—

Four bright lights burst forth from above, blinding her. The graduates held their poses, but their attendants turned with Naluma, watching four troop transports zoom overhead.

"We're under attack! Padawan! Flee!" Naluma yelled drawing her purple saber.

Kalder and Kallay drew their sabers, Kalder with a single green and Kallay with dual blue blades. They stood on either side of Naluma, two meters apart.

Kalder yelled, "Prefects, hide them in the basement. No one leaves."

The rest of the Jedi Order formed up in a semi-circle behind the three masters. Jannah, Tandolleau, Wei'ahht, Zeke, Benae, and the other fifteen.

Naluma glanced back, watching the Padawan retreat. She focused on the faces behind her, remembering this from her visions a few weeks earlier. I can't have them give up hope. Control yourself, Naluma. Focus on the task. Don't let them reach the Padawan. Luke can rebuild then. Oh, Luke, where are you?

Kallay asked, "Master Fau, you okay?"

Naluma shook her head. "Here they come. Create a circle. Don't let anyone past."

The Jedi responded, forming a circle of defense, a meter apart from each other. The variety of lightsaber blades shined in the darkness, rain pelting the slick mud and shale.

Blaster fire burst forth in waves. Jedi swung their lightsabers, deflecting the energy bolts back at their attackers. The first ranks fell, soon to be reduced by the second, and the third. By the fourth, the first Jedi fell. Fraynal. One of the graduates.

The death stabbed at Naluma's heart. Kalder and Kally staggered under the weight of the grief.

Naluma said, "Push away the grief. There'll be time to mourn later. Pull in the Force. It will soothe you." She grasped at more of the Force, grateful they were outside but wishing there was more than short turf in this area. The kedari trees were too far away. Too far to pull in more Force.

Kalder and Kallay breathed easier as the grief eased.

Kallay said, "Close up ranks."

Kalder asked, How many are out there?

Four transports, one shuttle. We've knocked down about a quarter of them, I'd guess. Naluma squinted through the rain as water dripped down her face. She took advantage a slight pause in the assault to remove her cloak. "Steady now. Here they come."

After another pass of bolts with another wave of soldiers collapsing to the ground under reflected fire, Kalder said, I only feel about two dozen. How about a group push. Send them into the boulders and then finish them off?

Naluma considered the plan and then nodded.

Kalder repeated the orders aloud. "Three, two, one, mark!"

The Jedi shoved forth their hands, pushing their attackers behind them, flying them into the air until they hit the nearest solid object. The soldiers crashed to the mud, many with twisted necks.

The Jedi leaped forward, swinging their sabers at the injured men, slicing them through the chest or decapitating, making sure their attackers were dead.

Soon, too soon, the place was silent. Many extinguished their sabers, attaching them to their belts and retrieving their muddied cloaks from the ground.

Naluma stood with her saber lighting the area and then howled a long scream. "The Padawan!"

 "The Padawan!"

Did you know . . .

● At the recommendation of AmericanBruja, the climax has undergone a major overhaul.

Tell me what you think . . .

● What do you think will happen next based on what we know from the sources listed above and the information provide in The Force Awakens?