Chapter 20 - Stress Relief

Playlist:

❶ "Marion's Theme"—Raiders of the Lost Ark OST

Over the next six months, Naluma struggled to manage Ben

Over the next six months, Naluma struggled to manage Ben. With news of more stolen children, Luke and the rest of the Jedi scattered throughout the galaxy—protecting high-risk targets, hunting for the culprits, searching for the children. And this time Naluma couldn't call him back—not with two Force-sensitive toddlers taken, Lando's Younglings, Ellie and Hazar.

I wish we could have brought them here. She shook her head. No. We shouldn't take them from their parents that young. I know I couldn't handle it to have my baby ripped from my arms. She paced near the window in the study, unable to see the courtyard due to the snow drifts.

Maybe we shouldn't have children. She sighed. No, we can keep them safe here. I wish we could bring Leia here with Breha. She collapsed into the arm chair and crossed her legs over the ottoman. But then Ben would know, and we'd risk Breha dancing with the darkness, too.

This is impossible, Naluma thought, shrinking inside with her lack of confidence. But her Force dream had warned her repeatedly, and none so vividly as last night. She bit her lip and resolved to stay the course, no matter the cost.

She reached out through the Force, hoping to catch a brief connection with Luke. It had been a few weeks since she'd last tried this. She knew he didn't need her baggage right now. Her fears consumed her and had the appetite of a rancor. She rubbed her arm and then stopped calling for Luke. I've lost ten kilos. I'm ugly. She hung her head. I can't let him see me like this.

All she felt was cold, lifeless snow. More snow. Worst blizzard in the last eleven years here. She punched the pillow and stifled a scream. Force, my back is killing me.

She tottered over to the desk and pulled out her bottle of pain meds while trying to smother the burgeoning cabin fever. I'm not sure if it's the walls crushing me or the snow, but I can barely feel the Force anymore with the flora frozen. With a groan, she leaned back in her chair and closed her eyes.

Meditation no longer soothed. Nature no longer supplied. Marriage no longer satisfied.

She lifted her datapad from the desk and scrolled through a few pages. Except for the ones at the main entrance, the exterior cameras were all buried in snow. The flakes whirled in front, depositing another layer on the path that led to the landing pad.

The towering snow drifts covered the first-story windows. The walls pressed in on Naluma. Each day, she struggled to crawl out of bed and deal with the strains of the academy. Each day, she fought with the temptation to escape it all.

Ben, you've got some more shoveling to do. She punched in a few assignments to her datapad and sent the messages to Ben and Canoord. The path would be buried under a meter of snow if they didn't get moving and stay vigilant. Naluma ensured that Ben shoveled much of the snow that winter. If his temper was not helped by the extra work, at least his muscles benefited from it. She punched a few more buttons to assign the rest of his year group to shovel the courtyard before classes.