Chapter 44 - Healing of the Force

The next day was a better day

The next day was a better day. Both Naluma and Luke hated the mood swings, but they were grateful when they swung in the positive direction. 

While eating breakfast in the suite, Naluma asked, "Did you talk to Ben?"

Luke nodded.

"And?"

He set his fork down. "I won't give up on him, 'Luma. He's hurting so much and needs someone who believes in him. He was very upset about the accident."

Naluma chewed on her food and remained silent for the remainder of the meal. I'm not going to change his mind, and he's never going to admit the kid's a sociopath. She bit her lip as tears threatened to stream again and forced herself into a peaceful state. How do I move on? What if he hurts the others?

She leaned back in her chair and announced, "Luke, I think I'm ready for the cards."

"Are you sure. They'll probably stir some deep emotions, and you know how Kallay likes to write those cute poetic sonnets."

Naluma nodded. "I'm sure."

Luke smiled and raised his hand at the stack of cards next to the bouquet of flowers on the fireplace mantle. They whisked into the air and raced around the room. He played his fingers in a twinkling motion and the cards looped and spread out in the air. They formed a single file line, then cut away every other like a deal of Sabacc. The cards whooshed around before forming a circle and then elongated into a heart shape in front of Naluma. Luke smiled with his eyes and the cards shuffled into her lap, Kallay's on top, and deftly palmed the one addressed to "Aunt Naluma."

"Hey, Naluma,

"My heart is breaking for you and Master Luke right now. I know how long you have both yearned for a family of your own. Anything you need, from any location in the galaxy, I'll get it for you. Just say the word. Even meilooruns. Or Lishi. Or even a clandestine trip to Felucia for those rolls you love."

Naluma smiled.

"What's so funny?"

"Kallay knew I was craving meilooruns."

"You were?" He wrapped his arm around her waist as she opened the next letter.

"Master Fau,

"I wish I could give you a hug and then beat Ben to a pulp for what he did. I need some more shielding lessons, because even when I try, I feel your pain halfway across the campus. Classes are not the same without you, but what's worse is we can't see you. I have no idea if you're getting any better, and I'm so frustrated that I can't help.

"A big hug from me and all the rest of the second years. 

"Love, Tascama"

Tears streamed down Naluma's face, not in sorrow, but in response from the love showed. She opened the next and drilled through the deck. The cards expressed how much the Padawan and Jedi missed Master Naluma and wished for her quick return to classes, as nothing was the same without her.