Chapter 18 - Consequences

Playlist:

❶ "Rebels at Bay"—The Empire Strikes Back OST

⊘ Silence

❶ Luke focused his concentration on evading the Republic fighters while laboring to patch into the Republic frequencies

❶ Luke focused his concentration on evading the Republic fighters while laboring to patch into the Republic frequencies. After a few minutes and a couple of glancing shots, he made contact. "This is Jedi Master Luke Skywalker trying to reach Captain Wedge Antilles." Silence filled the channel as a tight formation of TIEs dropped onto radar.

The Jedi juked the controls and swung his fighter into a tight turn. He opened his turbolasers on any ship not Republic, energy bolts striking their targets with uncanny efficiency. Circling back to the friendly Republic battle cruiser, Luke locked on to a pair of stray TIEs and jabbed the firing studs. His laser-fire streaked toward their objectives and blasted them into white and gold sparks. He corkscrewed through the explosions, hollering in celebration.

Wedge's voice distorted over the cockpit speakers. "Luke, where are you? Are you okay?"

"I'm on a TIE trying not to get shot. The only TIE waggling its wings. I'm almost to the Freedom's auxiliary landing bay. Can you open up the energy field?" Luke buzzed the bridge of the Republic vessel, so close that when he did, Wedge's heart rate stammered under his keen outreach with the Force.

"Tell me one thing, Luke," Wedge said. "What was the last gift I gave you?"

"Skywalker's Biscuits from Pamarthe—and that was 12 years ago. You've missed a few birthdays, buddy. Now open it up, or I'm going to bounce right off of it." The ray shield dissipated as Luke's TIE fighter touched its plane.

⊘ When Luke had exited the TIE fighter, he was greeted by ship patrol troops

⊘ When Luke had exited the TIE fighter, he was greeted by ship patrol troops. Luke raised his hands in surrender and waited for Captain Antilles.

Wedge hurried into the landing bay with his first officer.

The first officer announced, "Captain on deck."

The troopers did not move, maintaining coverage on Luke.