Chapter 8 - Supply Problems and Foolishness

Playlist:

❶ "Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor"—Return of the Jedi EST

❷ "Yoda and the Younglings" 0:07–3:59—Attack of the Clones EST

❶ "Look, I'm trying to reach the quartermaster," Naluma said over the communicator in the study on Khalkha

❶ "Look, I'm trying to reach the quartermaster," Naluma said over the communicator in the study on Khalkha. For the tenth time this week, she wished that Luke was not away on a mission—again. Everything functioned more smoothly with him around.

The receptionist on the other end asked, "May I ask who is speaking?"

Naluma rubbed her forehead and sighed. "This is Jedi Master Naluma Fau at the Jedi Academy."

"Could you please hold?"

"Yes, I'll wait." 

Naluma stared out the window in the courtyard, the kedari trees beckoning her outside, away from this nightmare called bureaucracy. She longed to return to Endor—or even Ahch-To—time alone with Luke in the middle of nature. They had enjoyed precious little time together over the last year since their wedding. Always another mission. 

The voice on the other end pulled her from her reverie. "Quartermaster's Office. Specialist Nekkott speaking."

"Specialist, I need to speak to someone about why my order was kicked back to me." Naluma's peace eluded her as her voice heightened.

"And who are you? Which division?" Nekkott asked.

"Jedi Master Naluma Fau. Jedi Academy," Naluma said for the fifth time today.

"You have exceeded your allocated budget, ma'am."

"That's never been a problem before." Naluma massaged her neck. "Can you connect me to the quartermaster? . . . Thank you."

"Captain Pondarea."

"Captain, this is Jedi Master Naluma Fau of the Jedi Academy. I need to push my order through, but it keeps getting kicked back." Naluma reached out, clutching at the tendrils of the Force to restore her peace.

"I'm sorry, Master Fau, but the Jedi Academy has exceeded its allocated budget."

Naluma inhaled a deep breath before responding. "Yes, that's what your clerk said," Naluma said with a staccato tempo, resolving to remain civil. "Captain, I have twenty new Padawan arriving in two months, and I need these requisitions now."

"Well, we might be able to fill some of your requisitions next month when your budget cycles."

"You don't understand, Captain. We have only one carrier authorized for shipments to our classified location. It will take him some time to ferry the shipments to us."

"I'm sorry, Master Fau. My hands are tied. I do not have the proper authorization to fulfill this requisition."

"I see, Captain. Well, could you tell me where I could get the proper authorization?"