Chapter 15 - Problems Start Again

Playlist:

❶ "The Old Death Star"—The Rise of Skywalker OST

For the first two weeks, Tascama loved the academy, but now she could not do anything right

For the first two weeks, Tascama loved the academy, but now she could not do anything right. When walking along the passageways, minding her own business and being careful of where she walked, she stumbled and fell to the floor—not once, not twice, but every day, some days more than once.

Yesterday, Prefect Maja had written her up for an unmade bunk, but Tascama knew she had made her bunk before even using the refresher that morning.

And today she found this note shoved into her datapad, which now had a cracked screen. 

Not so smart now, are you, year group leader? They should kick you out of the academy. Go ahead, report this. See if they believe you.

She crumpled the note as the ink faded from the torn food wrapper. Tascama shoved it in her pocket and wiped the tears from her eyes.

When Tascama arrived at Beginning Electronics with Master Naluma, Admah discovered her datapad was missing

Master Fau, who was not in a merciful mood that morning, said, "Admah, where is your datapad? Didn't you realize you were to bring it to class?"

"Master Naluma, I left it on my bunk during our run this morning. When I got back, it was gone."

"Are you reporting a theft, or did you misplace it?"

"I'm not sure, Master."

"Well, why don't you return to your dorm and check everywhere? You can have an additional sanitation duty for carelessness," Naluma said with a clenched teeth. "And hurry."

About to cry, Admah caught an encouraging look from Tascama. She sucked up her tears as she ran out.

When Admah returned a few minutes later with the datapad in her hand, her face flushed as her nostrils flared. "Tascama, how could you? Stealing my datapad because you cracked your own screen?"

With a heavy sigh,  Naluma said, "Silence. You two, my study after class."

Admah and Tascama glared at each other before responding. "Yes, Master."