Chapter 49 - Extraction

The main communicator interrupted Naluma's nightstand during her brief midday nap

The main communicator interrupted Naluma's nightstand during her brief midday nap. Even though it was only the middle of her midday meal, she was exhausted. The last few weeks she had scarfed her meal and grabbed twenty minutes of sleep before returning to classes.

She fumbled for the communicator, rubbing the sleep from her eyes, expecting it to be the Senate again. She said with weariness, "Jedi Academy, Master Fau."

"Lum—" The transmission crackled.

"Luke, how's the mission?" Naluma asked, sitting up slowly, struggling to hold back the nausea she always experienced when she first got up.

"Not what we were led to believe. I'll tell you everything when you [crackle] here. I need you to bring the shuttle and evacuate us."

"I can send Tandolleau," Naluma said as her stomach churned.

"Naluma, the power converter took a hit. I need a mechanic for the X-wing who can also [crackle] Ben. That's you," Luke said with firmness.

"Luke, I really shouldn't," Naluma said with a gulp. "How about I send Kallay in the shuttle with Tandolleau in a fighter for air support? Let Kallay fly your X-wing back once it's—" Naluma could not hold down the nausea anymore and spewed into the bucket next to her bed. After a minute, she finished, "—fixed."

"Are you all right?" Luke asked. "No? You aren't?"

"Yeah, I am," Naluma said with a warm smile.

"How far along?"

"Ten weeks."

"You aren't sparring, are you?"

"No sparring." Blaster shots rang out over the comm. Naluma's heartrate increased. "What's going on?"

"Gotta go. I'll have Artoo transmit the coordinates. Bring a new power converter. Send that shut—" The transmission cut off.

Anxious about Luke's safety, Naluma crawled out of bed and tugged on her boots

Anxious about Luke's safety, Naluma crawled out of bed and tugged on her boots. She bit back the tears that threatened to spill down her face as she ran to the chapel. The Jedi Master interrupted Jedi Kallay as she was delivering a message on self-sacrifice.