Chapter 31 - Duty First

Only the bridge and the engine room remained

Only the bridge and the engine room remained. The two battalions regrouped in the main dining room. The vigilantes now numbered in the hundreds. Everyone jabbered at once, some in panic, some in rage. Calix checked the cartridge of her E-11 and patted the spare she'd liberated from a fallen foe in her front pocket.

Naluma looked at Luke for guidance. He put his hands on his belt and nodded at her. It's your mission, Master Fau.

She hopped on a table and yelled, "Attention!" While it was her best drill instructor impression, only the people nearest her heard her. She was tired and getting a headache. And the ship still was not totally recaptured. She tried it again, filling herself with the Force. "Attention!"

The crowd quieted, and all eyes fell on Naluma. Even Luke's.

"Settle down. We've still got the bridge and the engine room left."

A few passengers murmured, obviously scared. One spoke out. "I'm done with this. That's where they'll have the best advantage." A few others agreed, but most were ready to finish the job.

Master Fau said, "I can't make you come with us, but if we aren't successful, you will be captured by the First Order. If you prefer enslavement, then stay here." Sweat glistened on her brow as she scrutinized her rag-tag group. "We need to stay together. Strength in numbers."

She allowed them a few minutes to consider the situation before capturing their attention again. "All right, if you're leaving, grab some water and any food that doesn't need cooking—cheese, bread, crackers, anything. Everyone on the mission eats. Those of you with any engineering experience are with Master Skywalker. Those of you with any ocean piloting skills are with me. We're going to hit them hard and fast. It is absolutely vital that no one gets a chance to communicate with the other unit or outside of the ship. Shoot to kill."

Naluma hopped from the table, rubbing the exhaustion from her eyes.

Luke approached her, putting his arm around her. He kissed her on the forehead and held her tightly. You're doing great. I'm proud of you.

Thanks. It means a lot. She smiled with fatigue. It's just like old times, isn't it?

Yeah. Luke's exhaustion shone through his eyes. Time to head out, Master Fau.

Naluma retook her position on the table and gained their attention with the Force immediately. They split up the squads and headed for their destinations.

 They split up the squads and headed for their destinations