Chapter 43 - Ups and Downs

The next day Luke helped Naluma wash and dress in "real clothes," as she called them

The next day Luke helped Naluma wash and dress in "real clothes," as she called them. Even though it was only her PT sweats and not her service uniform, it felt much better than a med center gown. He allowed her to sit in a chair instead of the bed, but going outside today was out of the question.

By the time she had eaten breakfast, though, she was exhausted, nodding off between bites. Luke took her fork from her hand and carried her back to bed. He kissed her and headed to the study to deal with the messages that had piled up while they were away.

The Senate had called repeatedly. Luke set their messages off to the side. He had already decided on a course of action for them, and they were not going to like it. The Senate could wait.

Han needed the order for the shipment in two weeks, but Luke had no idea what to order. He set that aside to discuss with Naluma when she was up later.

Leia was just checking in with him, wondering if everything was okay. He decided to return that call. He placed the call through the secure comlink. "Hey, Leia, it's Luke."

"Oh, I'm glad you called me back. I called you a couple of weeks ago. When I didn't hear back, I was worried. Something was troubling in the Force," Leia said. "Is everything okay?"

Luke could sense the tears welling up in him again. He silently told himself, Control yourself. What's done is done. It did not work. "No. Naluma miscarried. She almost died from hemorrhaging."

"I'm sorry, Luke. I wish I could be there for you guys," Leia said, her concern enveloping Luke across their bond. "I know how difficult a miscarriage can be. It's like a piece of you is missing."

"Yeah, it is." He sniffed and wiped a tear.

"How's Naluma doing?"

"Resting right now. Emotionally, it's up-and-down, with more down than up."

"It'll get better, Luke. Just give it time."

"How did you balance your Senate work and your family?"

"I didn't balance it. They pulled us apart." Leia inhaled deeply. "Don't let them tear you apart, too."

The alarm that indicated the secure call was about to end activated. "Thanks. Take care, Leia. I love you."

"Love you, too, Luke. Give my lo—" The connection broke.

The next day started out rough. Naluma sat in a chair, staring out the window as rain poured outside. Luke had brought her  breakfast, but she ignored it and him. 

He pulled the other chair beside her and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. Naluma sat stiffly at first, but a few minutes later she rested her head on him, crying.

After an hour of grieving, her appetite returned, and her mood swung to neutral. As she ate her breakfast, the communicator interrupted them.

Kalder's voice came over the speaker. "Master Luke, I have the Senate. They are insisting that they must speak with you."