Chapter 41 - Drifted Apart

Luke returned to the med center a few hours later and checked in with the med tech station

Luke returned to the med center a few hours later and checked in with the med tech station. "How is Master Fau doing?"

Budi had cycled off her shift, and Nibol was now head tech on duty. She looked at the chart and vid feed before replying. "She's due for another course of sedation, but vitals are normal."

"Thank you, but no more sedation. I'll handle her if something happens. The sedation drugs are tough on the Force-sensitive."

"How will we reach you if something happens?"

"I'll probably know something's wrong before you do, but here's my comm link frequency." Luke punched in his number to the information kiosk on the desk. "I'll wait around until she's fully awake."

"As you wish, Master Skywalker."

Luke sat beside the still form of his wife as the sedation drugs wore off

She mumbled a few words. A smile crossed her face. Even her hands stroked the sheets. "Hope." She kissed the air in her dream. "Hope, my sweet Ho—"

Her arms thrashed. She screamed. "Hope! No! You can't have her! Hooooooppppee!" She dissolved into a wail as her eyes popped open.

He reached out through their Force-bond and calmed her, squelching her panic. "It's just a dream, 'Luma. Just a dream."

She shook her head. "He killed her. He crushed her, Luke."

"Who?"

"Ben."

He rubbed her hand with his thumb. "That wasn't Ben in your nightmare. Ben didn't do this. He couldn't have. You must be mistaken."

He sent his love to her through the bond. He breathed a sigh of relief when she  reached back, pulling his energy from him, building her foundation of peace again. He slid his chair toward her and reached an arm around her shoulders.

She pushed him back, not just with her arm but with the Force. It was Ben.

"Sh. It was an accident. This never would have happened if you hadn't been sparring."