Chapter 27 - Lady Sabé

Playlist:

❶ "Distant Memories"—Titanic AST

⊘ Silence

While Naluma received her second massage a few days later, Luke attended the high afternoon tea held in the formal parlor on the main deck

While Naluma received her second massage a few days later, Luke attended the high afternoon tea held in the formal parlor on the main deck. Dressed in formal shirt and slacks, he joined an elderly lady and a girl in her twenties. They looked so similar in appearance, Luke knew they must be related.

The elderly lady waved her fan at him. "Welcome, young man. Please join us. You appear to be all alone, and I could use some friendly company."

He sat across from her. "Thank you. My wife is having a massage, and I wanted to meet some of the other passengers."

"I would have thought a young man like you would rather be in the casino or playing one of those rough and tumble sports," the sharp woman said with a nod. She sported an angular face and gray hair with many wrinkles. Luke was not positive, but he thought he recognized scars under her wrinkles.

"I'm not much of a gambler, and I prefer conversation to sports. My job is physically demanding. I like to relax on vacation."

"I am Sabé Jamella, and this is my granddaughter Cordé," she said holding out her hand for him to kiss it formally.

Luke stood and took her hand, following the tradition. He had seen this once in an old protocol vid, but the custom had not been followed since the Galactic Republic. "Jed Darklighter. It's a pleasure to meet you both."

He sat after greeting both ladies. Cordé poured tea for Luke and gave him a plate of sweet biscuits.

Sabé said, "It's a shame you're married. My granddaughter needs a mate."

"Nana," Cordé said in admonition, embarrassed.

"I'm sorry, I'm desperately in love with my wife, and she would kill me if I took another."

"A shame," Sabé said as she took her tea. She looked at Luke carefully, seeing something. It made the hair on the back of Luke's neck stand up. "You remind me of someone ... someone from my past."

Cordé placed her delicate hand on her grandmother's wrinkled one. "Nana, don't bother Mr. Darklighter anymore. You've already embarrassed him enough."

❶ "No, I know you. I've met you before. I'm sure of it," the old lady said, pulling her hand away from her granddaughter.

"Ma'am, I've never met you before. I would remember someone as beautiful as you. Besides, I'm from a rock of a planet in the Outer Rim. You would have never been there," Luke said.

"Tatooine?"

Luke jumped. "Have you been there?"

"Once, about fifty years ago. I was only a young girl ..." The old lady trailed off.