Chapter 24 - Back to Basics

Playlist:

❶ "Rey's Theme"—The Force Awakens OST

❷ "The Cave"—The Last Jedi OST

❸ "Jessica's Theme"—The Man from Snowy River OST

Naluma grumbled as Luke dragged her down the shuttle ramp

Naluma grumbled as Luke dragged her down the shuttle ramp. "I don't want to deal with people, Luke. Can't I stay here?"

"No." 

They locked eyes for a tense moment on the landing pad. Passers-by gazed on.

"Don't make a scene, Naluma. People are staring." Luke glanced around at them.

She closed her mouth and walked with him.

Once they reached the busy pedestrian zone beyond the spaceport, she asked, "Why are we here, anyway?"

Luke smiled. "I'm done with the narrow bunks on the shuttle. If I get to spend a month with you, I want a better bed." A blush raced to his cheeks.

Naluma lowered her eyes demurely and then looked up through her lashes. "Really?"

He brought them to a halt in the middle of the busy path. The blinking billboards lit up the city in the twilight. He gazed into her eyes, seeing her pain, seeing the fears of the woman he loved. She fears me. She thinks— Luke clutched the back of her head and pressed his lips to hers, opening the channel of his love to her. I will always love you. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't want you in my life. I can't lose you, Naluma. It would destroy me.

With his thumb, he wiped the tears from her cheeks. He pulled her close to his chest and held her, lowering his shields entirely. For the first time since their honeymoon, no barriers separated either of them. Their love, their fears, their thoughts—all flowed between them in the middle of the street as the flood of citizens flowed around them. 

I thought you'd stopped loving me.

Luke shook his head. Never.

Oh, Luke, I don't know how—

Shh. Don't worry about that. Just trust me.

I do.

Luke glanced at his chronometer. "We'd better head over to Dheedu's Divans before they close."

"Lead the way," she said with a slight smile. Naluma intertwined her fingers with his and leaned on his shoulder as they strolled.

 Naluma intertwined her fingers with his and leaned on his shoulder as they strolled