You, Me and a Bed Makes Three

Start from the beginning

For the past year and a half they've been trying to control me and get me to actually go to lessons. Giving me incentives and what not. Do they not realise I just don't care. At the end of the day I do the work needed, I get the best grades possible and ace all of the mandatory exams. What more do they want from me? If it wasn't for the head of sixth form being one of my few fans I think they would have kicked me out. But I do make the school look good from a grades perspective.

You see I'm one of those wiz kids. A curse if you ask me. I'm naturally smart and don't have to put much effort into my work to get nearly full marks on every test. But unlike most geeky people I don't want to be here. I'm only here because it was something my mum and dad wanted.

I hold back the tears as I think about my dad. Now is not the time to bring up old memories. I gulp back the lump in my throat and sigh loudly.

I leave my painting on the easel. My course work for art is due in the end of this week so I'll leave a note saying this is my final project. I'll bring my scrap book with my written work in tomorrow. My hippy art teacher is pretty cool, Mrs Hulla. She sort of understands my free spirit so I like to make a personal appearance every now and then. Coursework hand in dates are some of those times.

My phone starts buzzing in my pocket. I look at the caller ID before picking up. It's Greg so it's good to pick up.

"if your looking for some bacon this pigs arse is ready for the taking!" I answer.

"when will you answer the phone properly Harley?"he asks me.

"when you stop calling me." I joke.

"ouch I'm hurt. I thought you liked my calls."

"sure." I say in a bored tone.

"and if I don't call you how will know you answer the phone properly?"

"have faith in me?"

"i guess. Shame I'm not going to stop calling you any time soon though."

"oh no what will I do." I say dramatically.

"Harley? What is that piercing ringing noise in the background?" he asks me.

"an alarm." duh what else makes that noise. Boys can be so thick sometimes. Well most of the time.

"did you break into the school again?"

"yup!" I say smugly.

"time of the month again then?" he asks. Most girls would be cringing knowing that guy know when your period is, that isn't your boyfriend. But it's cool. I'm not embarrassed by my natural bodily processes.

"yup!" I say proudly.

"makes sense why I didn't see you in the club then."

"is that why you called? To check up on me? What are you my dad?" I ask slightly irritated. This always happens. He doesn't see me out and goes crazy, worrying that I've been tied up by some pervert or something.

I'm a big girl I can take care of myself. My dad made sure of that. Putting me through years of martial arts training. I'm a black belt in three disciplines. I think I could take on any predator.

"yeah. I like to think so. Well more of a big brother....so were all round Shaun's drinking you coming?" he asks me.

"sure I guess I've nothing better to do. I'll be round in ten."

"cool. See ya." he replies and hangs up the phone.

I look down at the stray dog, I've sort of come to take in as my own. He looks comfy and warm. I don't wanna disturb him but I'm sure to get in trouble for leaving a dog in the school. They let my crazy breaking in stunts slide cause I don't damage anything but the dog will be a definite no no.