26

I rolled over and looked at the clock. 4:43? Did I ever sleep a whole night through? That would be a no. I sighed and closed my eyes.  Heard the door click and listened intently. The next bed rustled and I heard soft footsteps. Jimmy. I felt his presence weaken as he left the room and I sat up, carefully avoiding Dean’s arm. I followed him out and saw him sneaking along the side walk. I cleared my throat and he froze, turning slowly, a pained look on his face. I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow expectantly. He sighed and slumped back. He stopped when he was level with me, looking down at me like Cas always used to.

“I just want to go home.” He said softly. I sighed and ran a hand down my face. I hated it when guys got to me. It so didn’t help the whole, I’m a huntress hear me roar thing. I took his hand and led him to the car making him sit on the hood and I stood in front of him. I shivered a bit in the wind and he held out his coat to me. I laughed and took it, fastening it around my waist.

“Believe me I know. I said boosting myself up next to him. I looked up and pointed at a star. “See that? That’s Sirius. It’s a million miles away at least, but we can still see it. It’s because we want to. It’s a star, but is also a promise. A promise of what will be, what has been, what can be. It’s everything we want, but can’t have. But we can look. The boys don’t go to their house in Lawrence where Azazel killed their mom, and I don’t go home to where my mom lived. They both died in this war. And we will too. You we can protect, but not as well. But your family. Oh Jimmy, your family is the innocents. They know nothing and no one knows who they are. We can protect them, if you let us help you.” I looked at him kindly. He was staring at me intensely.

“You were always saying things like that.” He said suddenly. “It always left this warm feeling inside of him. It was really strong and I felt it. Even as deep as I was. You got through to his very core. To me.” He said softly talking to me. I realized how dangerously close I was to making the same mistake twice. I jumped up and looked at Jimmy.

“Now you listen here Jimmy. You have a wife. A very pretty, intelligent, devoted and loving wife. And you have a daughter. Don’t go chasing other people’s fantasies. Understand? Now go to bed, before I slap you silly.” I said playfully. He smiled a bit, something real that made me uneasy. Cas never smiled like that. Jimmy walked inside and I followed him, taking off the jacket. I noticed something though. Jimmy didn’t smell like Castiel. Castiel smelled of milk, and honey and roses. Jimmy smelled like paper and ink. I followed him inside and went back to sleep with dean. I curled up against his chest and felt Jimmy’s eyes on me. I pretend be asleep, and eventually I did sleep. That was my first mistake.

Dean shook me awake. I punched his nose and immediately apologized. I did warn him last time. He seemed pissed and was also finding something funny. I looked around. Jimmy? I jumped up and looked around the room. Shit! Sam was shoving his crap in a bag, looking worried and fervent. I knew that look. It was the one he had when he exorcized Alastair. I frowned at him and he flinched. I threw my crap on, and fastened my wings on. Dean was taking his own sweet time. The boys started bickering about coke and refreshments. I sighed. They were so related.

We all jumped in the impala and tore off towards Illinois. I sat in the back, my wings folded neatly behind me. I was tapping my foot anxiously. I looked at Sam in the mirror and was about to enter his mind for a quick chat when I felt her presence. The red haired angel.

“Hey guys.” She said making the boys jump and the car swerve. I grabbed onto the nearest thing I could for balance, which happened to be Ana, and we both fell over in the back seat. My wings flew out trying to steady me and filled the car with fluff. We resituated and I glared at Anan reproachfully. She smiled a bit her eye wide and hair mussed. “Smooth moves.” She said shakily. Dean glanced back at her and I could feel his joy. And lost. And I almost saw something else.