7

I had been on my own for a while. I was always going back to Dad’s or Mom’s and visiting, but I had been hunting demons for a good 6 months. I had gotten a call from Sam a few hours ago, but I was in the middle of a fight with a wraith, so I ignored it. How sad. I finally checked the message. It was mom. She told me she loved me, and to tell dad the same. She was leaving us for good and she didn’t want me seeking revenge for this. She wanted me to help the Winchester boys the needed me. And she hung up. I listened to the message over and over again. The last words were always the same. “I love you Angel. Don’t ever forget it.”

 Dropped everything and put on the wings Samhein had given me. I flew, low and fast through forests and over fields, as fast as possible until I found where Sam and Dean were.  Burst through the door to their motel and found the only thing I hated in this world more than botched music. Fucking angels. Walked in, panting in anger and glaring at everyone. Sam turned pale and stepped towards me. I put a hand up and he stopped.

“Mom?” I asked in a dead voice. Sam closed his eyes and swallowed. He handed me a small bag. I opened it up. It was her leather jacket and anti-possession choker. I slipped both on. The bustier made it so I could wear whatever I wanted in between my skin and my wings. Right then I had on a white tank top and mom’s leather jacket. I looked at dean. He was white as a sheet. I knew mom liked him. “Dad?” I said in the same voice Dean looked at me, his eyes as dead as my voice.

“We called him. He didn’t want to see it done.” He said in his usual voice. I nodded. Understandable. Dad would want to distance himself from the dying ex. He’d be drinking his way through China by the time I finished here. I turned to Castiel. I walked around Uriel and right up to him. He was leaning against the wall.

“Castiel.” I said calmly. “Do you remember when I swore I would get you back for making my mother blind? Well she just died because she couldn’t see. Her dying wish was that I not seek revenge for her murder. But I want you to know. T’s your fault. She’s a smart lady. You should have just told her you would burn her eyes out and then forced her not to look. She would still be alive. I will never stop blaming you for this.” I said it all calmly. I turned away and walked back to the door. I faced my boys. “Gentlemen.” I nodded my head at them and turned to Castiel, “Angel.” I said nodding at him and I looked at Uriel, “Mermaid.” I said flatly giving him a look and I took off.

I flew all the way up as far as I could go without fainting from cold and lack of oxygen. I stopped and stayed still. Silhouetted against the moon clutching my mother’s jacket to me.  Sighed as her smell filled my nostrils. I closed my eyes and thought of what she would have wanted. Saw a shooting star arc from over the motel to a ware house not far away. I frowned. What? I flew towards it and landed lightly on the roof. A second star flashed across the sky and disappeared over my head. I frowned and looked through a skylight. Castiel stood at a table with maps and papers scattered all over it.

He turned around and woman with red hair stepped into my line of sight. I frowned and took off hovering in the air silently and drifted through an open window. I heard voices, one of them Castiel, and Oh my Gods he was using emotion. He sounded scornful. Sinning are we? I grinned slightly and stepped closer to the entrance. They were talking about how this torture was wrong. How it wasn’t possible for god to want this.  Leaned closer the corner of the hallway.

“Together?” Castiel was saying. “I am nothing like you.” Ooh apply water to the burn. “You fell.” I froze. He was talking to another angel I listened again. He sounded pissed, and there was soft yelling coming from somewhere beyond. It sounded horrible like someone was drowning. “Go.” He sounded mad. For Castiel anyway. A soft voice, the red haired girl’s said, “Cas.” Pleadingly. Since when do angels plead? “GO.” Castiel said forcefully. I heard a wing beat and felt a presence leave. It had something to do with my madness. I could sense people in my vicinity. I decided that I should take this opportunity.

“She’s right you know.” I said softly stepping into his line of sight as walked slowly down the hall so he could see me better. He was shocked to see me. That mush was clear by his widened eyes and postures. “The red haired angel. She’s right. Angels may be all about righteous power, and swords a-flame with holy fire, but god isn’t. He is the King and he is kind.” Castiel frowned at me and started walking swiftly towards me. I held stock still as he neared me. He was barely an inch away from me when he stopped. I looked up at him. I didn’t ate him anymore. I had let that go somehow. Mom had taken it with her.

“What are you doing here?” he said coldly. He was never cold just empty. I sighed and shoved my hands in my pockets.

“Well Castiel. When two shooting stars stop ever the same exact spot one gets curious. And when one happens to own a pair of fluffy wings that were enchanted by a crazy Halloween demon, one tends to fly over. And when one has a nose for trouble, one tends to stick said nose in said trouble.” I said smiling at him. He looked blank as ever and I sighed. Walking over to the table I had seen before. I place my hands on either end looked at the scriptures carefully. The screaming had stopped. I looked towards the only other door out of the room. He followed my gaze and walked up behind me.

“It’s none of your concern.” He said softly, as though trying to convince himself. I looked at him and folded my arms critically.

“Well seeing as the closest thing I have to a brother is in that room ripping apart some demon monster, I would say it is my concern. Yeah, I can sense people Castiel. Don’t be so surprised.” I added when his eyebrows shot up. I laughed at the look on his face and patted his stubbled cheek fondly. He froze at the contact and I pulled away. “Why do you do that? Every time I touch you, you just stop. Like I hit a switch or something. Aren’t you used to touching someone?” I sad softly, my eyebrows furrowed in worry. He stepped away from me and walked towards the door where Dean was.

The wailing started up again, like someone had a stick down their throat and I put a hand over my mouth in disgust.  Could feel his pain, it ripped through me like fire. I fell to my knees. Castiel helped me up and I blinked woozily. The pain was still there but it seemed muted somehow. I looked up at Castiel, my eyes full of tears.

“Cas, this can’t be Gods will. It just can’t.” I said. His eyes softened and I leaned into him, hugging him and crying into his coat. He didn’t move at first, but then he wrapped his arms around me carefully, as if wanting to pull back if necessary. So I cried in the arms of a doubtful angel.