Chapter 13

Recap:

Gabriel came back and told everyone I was telling the truth and then, he did something which I never saw coming. He came over and said "I'm sorry, for everything." I could see Rob laughing at my shell-shocked expression but didn't care. I managed to say something along the lines of 'that's alright' and when he left, I pinched myself, to make sure I wasn't hallucinating or anything, which only made Rob laugh harder.

I walked over and punched Rob in the arm, making May and I laugh when Rob said "Ow!" And put on a hurt expression. This certainly was an eventful birthday, at least in my top five; I wouldn't be forgetting it any time soon that was for sure.

************************************************

Chapter 13

"Come on, May. Time for bed." Rob called. May came running over, from where she had been with Max and asked me to pick her up. "And you Max."

"Aww, can't I just stay up a little bit longer?" Max whined. I almost laughed out loud at this because Max honestly looked like he was going to drop off to sleep any minute now.

"Sure you can, in our room." Rob replied with a smile. Max groaned but got up without saying anything else. Rob had just opened the secret door when Gabriel called him over. "You go ahead, I'll be down in a minute."

I nodded and continued down, slightly wary. I didn't want to run into Marina again, I didn't need, or want, to be in any more fights with anyone.

Max, noticing my nervousness, or perhaps picking up on my strong emotion, told me calmly. "Don't worry, she's asleep. I can hear her snoring from here. I'll let you know if she wakes up anytime soon." He gave me a sleepy smile of reassurance, which I returned.

I was relieved to find that Marina WASN'T staying in her room with May; it meant I would actually be able to get some sleep tonight without worrying about whether I would wake up or not. Max stayed with me as I put May to bed, which I was grateful for because it helped to settle my nerves, for a little while at least. May went to sleep instantly, which made me smile. I left the room and quietly closed the door behind me. Max went into his room after we exchanged goodnights.

I was just about to go take a shower before going to bed as I turned the corner I ran into Rob. "Just the person I was looking for." He said with a smile. "There's a meeting about to start in the Kitchen and we all decided you deserve to be a part of it." Rob informed me. This was news to me and I was honestly shocked because they barely knew me and they were already allowing me to be in on their whole secret and now a meeting, which I guessed was about something secret as well seeing as May and Max weren't involved. Rob, registering my shocked expression, explained "You proved that you're reliable and trustworthy, so we don't see why you shouldn't be involved in the meetings." And with that Rob headed towards the Kitchen, expecting me to follow, which I did.

When we entered I saw everyone else was there apart from Marina, who was probably sleeping off that concussion. They had pushed the four tables together and were all sitting around them. Rob went and sat down at the table while I headed over to the sink, where Larry and Paul were standing talking, to get a glass of water.

They let me through to fill up the glass I had gotten from the cupboard, but as I was about to make my way over to the table, Larry cleared his throat as if he had something to say. I turned, giving him my full attention as I took a sip of the refreshingly cool water. "I'm sorry, about before." He told me while rubbing the back of his neck "It's just, you know what it looked like." He tried to explain awkwardly.

"It's alright. I only realised after you picked me up how it must have looked. It's my fault really for not realising sooner, and not trying to find another way to stop her." I replied, with a small smile, which Larry returned looking relieved. I guess he didn't think I was going to forgive him, but how could I not? It wasn't his fault he misinterpreted the situation, it was mine for getting into that position to start with.