Chapter 12

Recap:

That's when it clicked. From their point of view, when I had my fingers on Marina's neck and my other arm raised, they must have thought I was going to hit Marina. From Sara's scream I guess she thought I HAD already been hitting Marina. "It's not what you think, I was checking her pulse." I told them, but I could see that none of them believed me, they wouldn't even look me in the eyes. Even Mia, who I thought might believe me, wouldn't even look at me. I just had to wait for Marina to wake up, and hope she would tell them what really happened. Yeah, and pigs were going to start flying, I thought sadly. I was well and truly screwed.

***********************************************

Chapter 12

"Get her out of here." Sara instructed, without turning around. Larry did as he was told; he lifted me slightly and carried me out of the room and away from the unconscious Marina, for the second time today. At least this time I wasn't bursting with rage. In fact, I was the opposite, I was filled with hopelessness. I couldn't see a way out of this.

Larry deposited me in a room I hadn't been in before, leaving and locking the door behind him. This was the room opposite May's so it must be Rob's and Max's. I looked around it and found it was the reverse of May's and Marina's room. Where theirs was a mixture of purple and pink, this room was a mix of light, almost aqua blue and green. The left half of the room was blue and the right green. Looking at the things on the blue side, which were comic books and clothes that wouldn't fit Rob; I guessed it was Max's half. I would have laughed at the contrast between the two halves of the room if I hadn't felt so hopeless. Rob's side was immaculate; I bet he would be able to tell instantly if something was out of place, whereas in Max's side it didn't look like you'd be able to find anything, it was such a mess.

I had no idea what was going to happen now, or how long I would be in this room, so I made myself comfortable on the floor by Rob's bed, just out of sight of the door, while trying to think through what I was going to say to everyone about what happened.

If they had cameras in Mia's room then that would help me prove my case. It was probably wishful thinking because I had a feeling they DIDN'T have cameras in any of the bedrooms, for privacy reasons. I knew what had happened in that room, but seeing as it had been only Marina and I when she knocked herself out, they would have to choose who to believe. Me, someone they met only a day ago and was ready to erupt with anger the last time they saw me, or a girl they had known for years, and lived with. There was no competition. If I was them I would believe Marina too.

Damn, this wasn't fair. I'd lost my family, been in two fights and was almost killed, in less than two days and now things weren't starting to look any better, they were worse, if that was possible. Just as I was thinking this I heard the door unlock and open. I expected it to be Larry, or Gabriel coming to finish me off after seeing what everyone thought I did to Marina, but it was neither of them. It was Rob.

He looked confused for a moment and then he spotted me half-hidden by his bed and came over. I had no idea what he thought had happened, but hoped against all odds, he would believe me.

"Do you want to tell me what happened after I left?" Rob asked, crouching in front of me.

I took a deep breath and looked him straight in the eyes as I told him my version. He didn't look away when I had finished but he had a grim look on his face, I waited for the accusations to come. When they didn't I started to worry.

Then Rob spoke. "I thought they had misinterpreted the situation but they wouldn't listen to me."

"What do they think?" I asked, both wanting to know but dreading his answer at the same time.