AGE IS JUST A NUMBER !!!

Chapter 16

I was still worrying about jayden so i decied to take her to the doctors also for her check up but to make sure evrything was alright.

"Are you ticklish?" Doctor Wan asked, and started to tickle Jayden. Jayden smiled and smiled, but didn't laugh. "Well that's strange. She's not laughing." And when she said that, I knew something was wrong.

I set Jayden on the floor and tears started coming out of her eyes. She flailed and kicked, but no noise came out. I sat and watched her; I wish I could hear her voice, her scream, her laugh, her cry. I didn't know what was wrong with her. I heard the sound of the door opening and I set Jayden back on the table.

"Miss Dixon? I have talked to another doctor, and he thinks..." Doctor Wan started.

"He thinks what?" I blurt out.

"Rachel, honey, let the doctor finish her sentence." My mother instructed.

"He thinks that Jayden may be, mute. There is treatment for this, but it requires surgery. We would not be able to do this while she is this young, though. I'll give you two some time to talk." Doctor Wan said as she left the room.

"Mom! Jayden, won't ever be able to talk?" I ran up to her and buried my head in her neck; I said it more as a question.

"Hey, baby. Whatcha doing?" Avery asked me as he came walking into my room later that evening.

"Reading a book about speech development. What are you doing here?" I asked him, looking up from my book.

"Am I not allowed to come and see my girlfriend?" He asked, starting to smile and walk over towards my bed.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked that." I said, starting to cry.

"What's wrong? Is it the doctor's appointment?" Avery asked me.

"Y...Ye...Yes." I started to say. "Jay...Jayden is mute. She may never be able to talk, there is a surgery, but until she is old enough, she isn’t going to be able to talk!" I chocked the words out.

"Shh, it's okay. She's going to be fine." Avery told me, pulling me close to him and kissing me lightly.

"No. Go, I don't want you to see me like this. I look disgusting, my make-up is smeared and my hair is messed up and--"

"I love you, Rachel. I'll never feel any different." Avery whispered in my ear.

"I love you, too. I think Thomas picked the right guy to look after me." I whispered back to him.

"But, I still look bad and—“ I started to say, but Avery stopped me as his lips pressed against mine.

“Shh, don’t talk. You’re beautiful.” Avery said, I was quiet almost instantly.

"Wait, stop. I can't do this. I'm sorry." I told Avery as I bit my bottom lip. I looked down to see my dress pulled up to my waist.

"Yeah, my bad. I sorta got carried away." Avery told me running his hand through his hair.

"It's fine. I just started zoning out and I didn't want to do anything when I wasn't myself. If that would have happened...There might be another Jayden." I said awkwardly, trying to get out of Avery's grip.

"Sorry." He said, releasing me. "I better get going. I'll see you soon. Love you." Avery said, getting off of the bed.

"Yeah, you too." I said right before he shut my bedroom door.

As soon as Avery left, I ran into Jayden's room. I heard the sound of her diaper ruffle against her pajamas; I had woke her up. I saw the glow of her eyes in the dark, and I turned on the lamp next to her bed.

"Jayden, are you okay?" I asked looking down at her.

Nothing. She reached her arms up to give me a hug.

I hugged her, my breath jagged. "I've got to stop worrying..." I said to myself.