AGE IS JUST A NUMBER !!!

Chapter 14

I pulled out my cell phone, and with a shaky hand, I dialed 911.

“911, what is your emergency?” The dispatcher answered the phone.

“My boyfriend just attempted suicide! He is lying on my bedroom floor, and he’s not breathing! Please, help me!” I screamed.

“Ma’am, just stay calm. What did he use to kill himself with?”

“I think sleeping pills! Please, hurry!” I said, starting to break down.

“The officers and ambulances are on their way, please just stay calm.”

Just fifteen minutes later, police cars and ambulances surrounded my house. The lights flashed red and blue, and the rain poured. This was the first time it had rained in awhile, I thought of it as Mr. Harrison crying. I hoped that they could do something for him.

"I'm sorry. We’ve done everything we can. It seems as he has been dead for at least an hour. I'm sorry, Miss Dixon." The police officer told me lightly.

"You can’t do anything?!” I screamed, “The father of my child! She is only ten months old, she’s going to grow up without a father!”

“Miss. Dixon, I’m sorry, we can’t do anything for him. I’m sorry for your loss.” The officer said as she walked away.

I went into Jayden's room. She peered at me from her crib and smiled; she was awake.

"Hey baby girl." Tears started to swell in my eyes. "Jayden, Daddy...Daddy...Daddy died tonight." I told her.

Jayden looked me in the eye; she looked like Mr. Harrison more then, than ever before. I watched as a small tear formed in her little eye, and ran down her cheek. She knew what I was talking about.

"I came over as soon as I heard. Your mom called me. Rachel, I am so sorry." Julia came running into Jayden's room in her pajamas.

"Yeah..." I said, starting to cry again.

She pulled me close to her, just like a mother. I couldn't keep it in anymore, tears started flowing. My mascara was running down my face and onto Julia's nightgown.

"It's all my fault! It's all my fault! I should have never even talked to Avery! If I hadn't Mr. Harrison would still be here!" I sobbed into her shoulder.

"No, it's not your fault. What he did was his decision, Rachel. Nothing he did was your fault." Julia tried to calm me.

"You can't let this bring you down. I'm going to be here with you. I'll help you get through it." A voice that sounded like Mr. Harrison's said to me.

"What are you talking about? You're dead! I can't do anything without you!" I yelled at the voice in my head.

"Rachel, look over to your left. Do you see that? That's our daughter. She needs you now more than ever, she can't talk, Rachel. She can't tell you her thoughts; you need to help her through this. I'll always be here. I love you." Mr. Harrison told me.

"Don't leave!" I yelled, but the voice was gone.

The funeral followed that next week. Mr. Harrison would have loved it. It was beautiful, the flowers, everything. His parents could not attend, though, it turns out they died when he was just a child. I was all he had. This made me cry harder.

Call him." Mr. Harrison's voice said to me after the funeral.

"Why? It's only been a week. I'm not ready." I told him.

"Do it. He is the right guy for you, Rachel. Call him."

"Okay. I'll call him." I said as I pulled my phone out.