Chapter 39

Two Weeks Later

My eyes snap open.

They take in their surroundings. I'm in my bed. I should've built a hospital ward, I think.

My door slams open, and my mate runs in, enveloping me into a hug. A hug where no words are needed. The type of hug where the only thing is reassurance that the other person is there next to you.

My mates eyes gleam with happiness, and soon enough, a tear falls out of his right eye. I wipe it away with my thumb.

"You're really here." He says. "I can't believe you're really here!"

"Hasn't it been like one day?" I ask. Why is he so happy?

"Tris, my love, you have been in a coma for two weeks."

"Are you serious?" I ask.

"Why would I lie about that?" He asks.

I look at him and his eyes dazzle with happiness. I crash my lips onto his. The kiss was slow, and full of passion.

When we pull away, he whispers, "I missed you so, so much."

My heart skips a beat at his words.

"How has the pack been?" I ask him.

"It's been a bit hectic, but they've been really good, and we actually have some new news." He says, a smirk on his lips.

"Oh yeah? What is it?"

"Gale found his mate. It's Lynn."

And just like that I can feel a huge weight being lifted off of my shoulder, and my heart expands at the new couple.

"They do make a good match, now that I think about it." I tell him.

"Yeah, they really do." He says, staring at me.

"Oh! I almost forgot to tell you. You see, we have some new pack-"

"Kaz give me my god damn knives back!" A voice screams from outside my room.

"Never, Inej!" Another replies.

"You guys are annoying, please shut up." Another girl says.

"Nina, let them have fun. Remember how we were when we found out we were mates?"

"Oh shut it, Matthias."

I laugh at their banter.

"So, who are they?" I ask Tobias, who is laughing at the conversation.

"They called themselves The Dregs, and were there own little pack, but they heard about us so they wanted to join. There's also Jesper and Wylan, but who knows where they are."

I smile. "Thank you for letting them going the pack." I say.

"For you and the pack, anything."

"I think it's time you see something." He says, standing up from the bed.

"You need to keep calm, ok?"

I nod my head.

He lifts up the blanket that is covering my body. I gasp in horror at what I see.

I no longer have two legs.

Tears stream out of my eyes. Why?
I look up at Tobias, hoping he could give me an explanation.

"After you got here, Hermione did everything she could to save you, but your leg was carrying a nasty infection, so it had to me amputated."

I stare at the stump of flesh that used to be my leg. Leaning against the wall is a metal prosthetic leg. How had I not noticed it before?

"In my opinion, I think it's kind of sexy. I mean, my mate not only sacrificed herself for her pack, but she did it bravely. How many people have the privilege to actually me able to say that?"

I wrap my arms around his neck.

"I love you, Tobias."

"And I love you, Beatrice."

I roll my eyes at my long name, causing Tobias to laugh.

"Can you help me put it on?" I ask him.

"For you, anything."

Before standing up, I check my abdomen. On it, the word weak was still carved into my flesh.

"Hey, hey, don't look at that. That word, is the exact opposite of you. When nobody could find you, you saved yourself. You are badass and a brave, loyal person. That word does not define you, it defines the person that put it there."

I press my lips to his.

"How did I end up with someone like you?" I ask him.

"I don't care, but I'm glad you did."

Tobias reaches for the prosthetic leg behind him and attaches it to the stump of flesh and bone I used to call a leg.

I have to admit, doing this for the first time is hard.

How will I ever accept the fact that I no longer have two legs?

I try to take a step, but I end up falling into my mates arms.

"Come on, it's okay." He says reassuringly.

I intent taking another step, and this time I am somewhat successful. I move my other leg, and soon enough, if feels normal. When I am able to walk from one side of the room to another, I whoop in happiness. Tobias pulls me in for a bear hug.

"Come on, it's time the pack sees you again."

For a second I am self conscious. What will the pack members think of me now? Will they say that I am weak?

I open the door to my room, and I am surprised to see my entire pack outside of it, even Lynn is here.

Cheers erupt from my pack, and I bow down in a sarcastic way.

Katniss and Clary come to hug me, and then it turns into a family hug.

Family is not necessarily the one that you are related to by blood, it is the one that you choose.

I look over and see Tobias standing in the doorframe of my room. He winks at me, and I smile back at him.

My pack starts to bombard me with questions.

At this moment in time, I know that this, this is my family.

WAIIIT WHAT!?
So bad news, guys, this is the last chapter before the epilogue. Wow, we have definitely come a long way #AmIRite.
Please don't kill me, lol, but on the bright side, I actually updated four chapters in one day, so that's pretty cool
Until the last chapter, loves.

❤️ ❤️ ❤️