Chapter 41: We're a Pretty Good Team, Shika

Recap
The Sand and Sound had teamed up and attacked the Hidden Leaf. Sasuke pursued Gaara, and Kakashi sent a team after them, which included Pakkun, Sakura, Naruto, Shikamaru, and Himawari.
"Himawari, I don't have time for chitchat right now, but join them in pursuit of Sasuke they'll explain." Kakashi ordered.
And Now

As we started following Pakkun, they informed me of how the other fights went down , and they told how Kakashi had gotten Sasuke there almost too late to participate. Sasuke had mastered a move called the Chidori, which was no surprise Sasuke is a very capable ninja.

Traveling through the village on Sasuke's trail, I could see cobra in the far distance and with them ninja. I couldn't tell who's side they were on from here, but hopefully they were taking the snakes down. They didn't seem to care who was on their side or not.

Maybe I could use my summon to help them. My summon! Hoshi! How had I forgotten about her until now. It's my job to protect her. I remember Shikamaru had her last.

"Shika!" I yelled at him gathering not only his attention but everyone else's as well. "Where is Hoshi?"

His eyes flickered to the bag he was wearing. Carefully, he took the bag off and tossed him towards me. The weight and warmth of my partner could be felt through the material. I hugged the bag close to me glad she was okay. Then I put the bag on my back adjusting to the new weight.

"Once your fight was over she crawled in the bag to sleep." He lightly smiled at me knowing the situation was serious.

"Of course," I laughed with a whisper, "it is day time, and Hoshi needs her sleep."

•—•

"Come on you guys! Hurry it up!" Pakkun yells at us. "There are eight people in two squads behind us... no wait! There's one more. There are nine people following us."

"Come on already, give me a break." Shikamaru complained next to me.

If they continue to follow us, they could catch up and attack. We need to stop them or distract them. I twiddled my thumbs worriedly. Who would go? Naruto needs to get to Sasuke and Gaara

We came to a clearing where Pakkun decided to stop. We each went backwards on our foot prints to make it appear as if our tracks disappeared. A plan designed to throw them off. It was clever, but I wasn't sure it would work.

Like I expected, not long after Pakkun sensed them on our trail. We need a plan.

"They are probably all chunin or higher. We'll be wiped out if they catch us." Shikamaru said in a irritated tone.

"Let's just ambush them!" Naruto shouted impatiently.

"No good." Pakkun said interrupting his train of thought. "Those guys are Orochimaru's henchmen. My guess is, they are all Jonin."

Okay, nine probably jonin ninja pursuing us. We can't ambush them, and they aren't just going to stop chasing us. We could split up? There are five of us. Pakkun, Sakura, Naruto, Shikamaru, and I.

"Only one plan I can see working." Shikamaru was explaining. "A diversion that only looks like an ambush. One of us need stay behind and slow them down."