Chapter 19: That Look

Start from the beginning

     "I presume they don't work. Seeing as you're falling asleep in class all the time." He suggests. Is it weird to say that I can fall asleep at school knowing he's around easier than I can fall asleep in my own bed? Probably. So I don't say anything at all. Instead I nod.

     "Right, well. I'll see you Monday, Daniels."

     "See you Monday."

  • • •

    The rest of the weekend flies by and next thing I know it's Monday morning. I managed to finish my homework, but of course without the sleeping pills my sleep has been jacked up. Especially after Dawson appeared in my most vicious of nightmares last night. Thankfully my brother was there to hold me when I woke up but I couldn't sleep the rest of the night after that.

     Hopping into Riley's car wearing an oversized hoodie and track shorts, I must look as terrible as I feel because immediately she says. "Rough night?"

    "I've been up since two in the morning. So yeah, just a bit." I buckle myself in and lean against the window.

    "Just go to sleep. I'll wake you when we get to school." She rubs my back and I nod but sleep still doesn't come and when we make it to school, the dislike for this place only intensifies.

     Riley and I meet up with Chloe in the halls who's currently sucking Chris' face clean off. "Can you please keep it PG on school grounds? For the sake of the children." I groan, massaging my temples.

     As Riley and Chloe go on and on about boys, I find myself locating one in particular. Just at the opposite side of the hall Cooper is leant against his locker beside Vienna Rose. Her hands cling to his body, tracing over his every defined muscle. As I watch this, some part of me, the lonely and female part of me. . .wants to reach out and touch him too.

    I'd be lying if I said over this past weekend things haven't changed between he and I because they have, drastically as a matter of fact. He saved me and better yet he's shown a sort of concern for me. But this tingly sensation I get when looking at him or when he's near? That's growing by the second and I am dreading the day when I can't contain it any longer.

     Vivian's breasts are pressed firmly against Cooper's chest as he merely chats with Aaron at his side. Ignoring the attention seeking girl at his hip.

    You know, I understand why Cooper is so popular with the ladies, not only are the rumors of his high sex drive and ability to please a girl in bed, all positive but-God I hate myself for saying this. . .he's gorgeous. No matter how much I dislike the boy, his beautiful grey eyes and ruffled brown locks are beyond alluring to me.

     His eyes suddenly flicker to mine that I'm entirely caught off guard. Gasping, I turn away and come face to face with Riley who's already smirking at me.

    "What?" I scoff.

     "Nothing. Just you and Cooper eye-fucking each other from across the hall."

    "I wouldn't say it was that extreme-" I begin.

    "Oh, it totally was." Chloe cackles.

     "You may not want to admit it now, but you're starting to like him." Riley pokes my cheek. I snatch her hand away. "No I am not! Take it back."

     "Don't worry sweetheart." Chloe massages my shoulders. "I think he's starting to like you as well."

     "Are you high?" I shrug away from my friends. They must be high because this is the most absurd conversation I've had with them yet. "We are talking about the same Cooper right? He'd run me over with a truck before ever even admitting he's capable of feeling things with that cold heart of his."

   "Shape up you ho." Chloe scowls, punching me in the boob. Hard.

    "Ow!" Holding my chest, I whine. "What the hell was that for?"

    "You're being a little bitch." Chloe throws her fist into my other boob. I grab ahold of myself and turn away from her.

    "Stop it!" I yell.

    "If I were you I'd stop complaining. I mean, you're the luckiest damn girl in the world to have Cooper fucking Rhodes look at you like that." Riley zips up her jacket.

    "Like what?" I ask.

    "Like you're his only salvation."