40

Santana's POV

A few weeks later

Sighing, I type furiously on the keys of my laptop resting on my lap whilst sitting on the Pierce's comfy couch with some stupid reality television show playing in the background. The letters in front of me seem to be morphing into one big jumble, a jumble that doesn't even resemble the words that I think I'm typing. Shaking my head, I close the lid to my laptop and shut my eyes to try and block out the headache that I feel coming on. I let out a groan and bring my hands up to my forehead when I feel the familiar migraine that I've been having lately—as James would say "I've been working too much".

I think he might be right.

Glancing down at myself, I scoff and roll my eyes at my appearance. I look a mess and that's coming from me because usually I'm hot stuff but right now I'm in pink shorts and one of Britt's tee's that is a tad too big for me. Brittany. She hasn't called me in weeks and I'm worried fucking sick, I mean how could she be so inconsiderate? She's probably busy saving lives out there but couldn't she spare 10 minutes of her time to call me or write me a fucking letter? It's not like I can ring her, any weirdo could pick up the base phone. I miss her.

Keys jangling in a lock makes me look over to the door where James walks in with arms full of grocery shopping, I swear that man is addicted to food. He looks over at me with a smile but soon enough it's replaced with a knowing look and a tilt of his head. "Please tell me you haven't been sitting there since I told you last?" He asserts and I hiss guiltily, clearing my throat and scratching my temple as a guilty habit. He sighs and places the groceries in the kitchen before coming back out and taking a seat on the couch opposite me. "Santana—"

"I know James, I just had to finish this work" I interrupt, justifying myself with a shrug which seems to have unfazed James because he raises his eyebrows, staring at me with this look.

"Dear, that case isn't until October, it's the beginning of August" He retorts making me roll my eyes and lean back into the couch, folding my arms over my chest. "What's wrong? Come on you can tell me sweetheart" He gently adds and I look down at my feet, my pink nail polish contrasting against my tanned skin.

"I haven't hear anything from Britt" I mumble and he sighs, nodding his head understandingly before itching the grey stubble on chin.

"I remember when I was impatiently waiting for a call or a letter, it's tough. She will call and write when she is ready darling, that is if she hasn't already" He explains and I look at him with confusion written over my face so he continues. "Sometimes letters take a while to be processed and sent here, a few letters that she sent me didn't come until a couple of weeks later after she posted them" He elaborates and my eyes widen, weeks? "Hold on tight Santana, a letter might be on its way"

I'm so stupid to think that Brittany wouldn't write to me, it's probably taking it's time to get here. As for calling she might not have the phone, god I'm a terrible girlfriend. I should be supporting her instead of being selfish and demanding that she writes to me. Fuck Sake. I need more sleep.

"You're right. Sorry if I've been um, grumpy" I mumble with an apologetic look to which James smiles at.

"Don't worry about it San. Just think 2 months and a half now" He announces with a reassuring smile to make me happy and it does. Only 2 and a half months, that's all I have to wait. My phone vibrating next to me makes me groan angrily at the thought of another work call, they've been non-stop for weeks. Frowning, I look at the caller I.D and swallow.

Mami?

"What do you want?" I spit and swallow at the sound of my own tone that was a little harsh. But then I think of all the things she's said to Brittany and I; suddenly I don't feel as guilty. I hear her sigh and clear her throat slightly.