You're Not You When You're Hungry

Ring. Ring. Ring.

I shot up as I was pulled out of my deep, troubling sleep. I was kind of angry, since I had ben tossing and turning for about 2 hours now, and I finally was able to slip into unconsciousness. Yet, I patted around my bed in search of my loud phone, hoping to catch it before it woke up Jess or Bri. I ripped it off the charger, pulling the whole thing out of the wall, which didn't help in the whole noise department. Stealing a quick glance at my unbothered roommates, I looked and saw an unknown number.

What random number is calling my at 3:17 in the morning?

"Hello?" I answered groggily wiping my eyes.

"Ela? Is that you? Ela?" I heard a desperate voice answer. I know this voice. I know this voice.

"Alex? Holy shit Alex? Is that you?" I said with wide eyes.

"Thank God you answered. I don't know how I got to a phone, but you have to listen to me. You have to get us out of here. Ela, you have to get us out." Alex cried, I could hear the pain in his voice.

"Tell me where you are. Tell me..." I was cut off by the sound of bloodcurdling screams. It made my body turn cold and sent shivers up my spine. Whoever let out that scream... was either dying or wanted to be dead. "Who was that?" I asked slowly. The concern dripping in my voice as I knew there was probably only one other possibility of who that could be.

"That was Tyler. He's going through mental training. Ela please you have to save us. I can't do this anymore. I can't stay here anymore. I thought I could. I thought I could save you from this. I didn't want you to get involved. I wanted to keep you safe. Despite everything I just wanted to keep you safe. But... I don't know how much longer I can go through this. I don't think I can make it Ela. I don't think we can make it Ela. Tyler he's... well you can hear him. We're breaking Ela. I cant... I can't..." Alex muttered hysterically. I still heard Tyler's screams in the background. The tears started to well in my eyes, but I had to stay strong for him.

"Alex tell me where you are. Tell me..." I said desperately.

"I don't know where we are Ela. I... maybe Italy. I think Italy. I remember some... most of my unit going missing there. We're probably in their headquarters, but I'm positive they have bases all over Europe. Ela... please you have to help us. I don't know how much longer we can last in here. I don't know. I can't do this anymore. I'm weak. All I hear is Tyler screaming or my screams. I'm tired. I'm going crazy in here. I'd rather die than spend one more day in this hell hole. Ela, I can't do this anymore. I can't. I can't. I can't. Ela... Ela please you have to save us." Alex sobbed and I couldn't take hearing the pain in his voice anymore.

"I'm trying Alex. I'm really trying. You have to help me though. You have to give me more information to go off of. We don't know where to begin looking for you. Alex, you have to stay strong for me. You have to be strong. Please Alex, you can't give up. I'm not going to give up until I find you, you can't give up either." I said seriously. I don't know how I was keeping myself together. I was keeping myself together.

"Ela I can't. I don't know anything. I don't even know how long I've been in here. I don't..." Alex quickly stopped talking as I heard a door open. My heart sunk to my ankles and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I could sense danger through the phone. "NO! No please stop!" Alex's voice started screaming and I heard banging. "Please don't do this! Please don't do this! It was a mistake. I won't do it again. Please. Please!" Alex begged before shrieking out in pain. The sound of his voice was weak and broken. It's almost as if I could see what they were doing to him by the way he begged them not to. "I wont do it again. Please. I promise. I promise." He cried out hopelessly.