1. Cocoa

•••
The world around us is often fast. Tempting us into currents of momentary gratification and distraction. Part of our offering is an invitation to let go of that vibration and find wholeness in the simplicity of life. Drawing a focus on the present, on the small moments that bring light, finding a level of therapy and beauty in the bounty of the earth that is often overlooked. But often, life can grow to be tiring, especially one of a demigod.The life of a demigod is quite tedious, to say the least. From fighting belligerent monsters to stopping a power-hungry god, taking a break is an absolute must. With the holidays around, Chiron was evidently in a giving mood as he allowed us to go a pleasant excursion to New York. I was incredibly thankful for the opportunity of doing nothing other than lazing around in our pajamas all day and relaxing without a care in this material world.

After a bit of a trek, we finally arrived at the hotel. The glass double doors loomed at us. Glancing at our reflections, we opened the doors and walked in, the fresh hotel air surrounding us immediately. The air smelled distinctly of fresh pine and linen. There was a fireplace off to the side which held a small fire that crackled softly and a TV with soft, dark blue loveseats around it so people could lounge around and chatter.The hotel lobby floor was laid with hardwood, giving off a comforting vibe. There were windows here and there scattered throughout the building that allowed us a view of the busy city.

Nico stopped in front of one of the glass windows and gazed at the scene before him. City lights were gleaming in the night sky and the bustle of cars streaming constantly across the roads was ever present. I walked to the front desk, my shoes clacking as they tapped the wooden floors.

I asked for the keycard and we started to make our way to our room. Our room was situated on the ninth floor, meaning we would get a nice birds eye view of our surroundings.

We stepped into the elevator, which was small in size, but made up for it with the beautiful designs of flowers and other floral decorations on the sides of the elevator, which seemed to be hand-carved. Nico pressed the button for the ninth floor and seconds later, we exited. I handed Nico the keycard and he swiped it along the lock. He opened the door and we both stepped into our room.

There were two beds with white cotton sheets laid on it that were as neat and pristine as could be. Complimentary chocolate mints and a notepad sat on a nearby hardwood desk. There was a large window in the back of room which led to a small balcony that faced the city. Nico let out a low whistle at our room.

    "Get a load of this, huh (Y/N)? I'd say this is a pretty good deal considering how uptight Chiron can be", mused Nico. I nodded in agreement.

"Definitely. I'm looking forward to spending the weekend here with you", I said with a smile towards him.

Nico smirked and brushed a hair out of my face before kissing my forehead. Giggling, I threw my suitcase onto the bed and began to unpack.

As I was sorting out my paraphernalia, a few packets of hot cocoa that had been saved for our trip stumbled out of my suitcase. My eyes lit up in excitement and I eagerly gestured towards the hot cocoa packets and motioned Nico to come over.

Looking towards him, I said, "Hey, do you want some cocoa? I can whip up a nice batch for us!"
He quirked a dark brow in confusion. "And make it with what, exactly?"
"With the complimentary coffee maker, of course!"

He chuckled and nodded. With that, I walked over to the marble countertop and began to carefully make the cocoa, making sure to not burn anything in the process. Ten minutes later, the two mugs of cocoa were ready to be drank. The sweet aroma of hot chocolate drifted through the air. My mouth alone started watering at the enticing scent. Before I delivered them, I remembered I had a small bag of marshmallows in my suitcase. I quickly ran over to retrieve them and then sprinkled them into the steaming drink. Walking over to Nico, I proudly handed him the cocoa, the soft marshmallows already beginning to melt.

While waiting for the drinks to cool , we decided to pick out a movie to watch on the TV. Nico handed me the remote and I proceeded to flick through the various channels before stopping at a Harry Potter film. Nico laid down on the bed and I flopped over next to him. We then grabbed our mugs and each took a nice sip. I clinked my mug with his and we each took a sip. My eyes closed as the flavor of the warm drink enveloped me. The milk and cocoa powder came together for the perfect combo of chocolate and cream, the sweet taste hitting me just right. I smiled contently at the taste, not too sweet and not too hot. Nico wrapped his arms around me and brought our bodies closer, the sound of his heartbeat calming me instantly.

"It tastes amazing, (N/N)! I love the marshmallows, they're a great touch."said Nico with a soft smile.

I laughed in response and thanked him. Leaning my head onto his shoulder, the subtle scent of his cologne filled me with a sensation of warmth. We both turned our attention back to the screen and drank our cocoa in comfortable silence. My eyes drifted shut for a few moments, the events of today catching up with me. The movie continued to run by in flashes, eventually growing into nothing more than white noise. My eyelids grew heavy, my vision blurring ever-so-slightly as I attempted to fight the clutches of sleep. Turning my head to side, it appeared Nico was already dozing off, his soft snores filling the air. Sighing to myself, I laughed under my breath, careful to not to rouse him. I couldn't help but take a moment to stare at my boyfriend. His dark hair fell messily across his face framing it perfectly, even while he was sleeping and I felt a smile creep up at the thought of his peaceful state.

Unable to fight it any longer, I decided to finally succumb to the hold of sleep. Mere moments later, we were both napping peacefully, the presence of each other creating an ambience of calmness and serenity. Just before finally drifting off, a final thought rang throughout my mind, one I haven't thought in a long time;

Is this what true happiness feels like?