0. The Yule Ball

Harry Potter AU

•••

I vigorously tapped my foot against the hardwood floor, aching to know when I would be called up. My heart was racing, not of fear, but of excitement; a frisson. Here I was, living the ordinary, average human life, then out of the blue, a letter. A letter from Hogwarts explaining that I had been invited to one of the most prestigious academies for witches and wizards alike. Along with the letter, it gave me a list of supplies and items that I would need.

My parents were quite surprised; they weren't even sure witches and wizards and all that nitty-gritty existed. To be frank, I'm not entirely sure onto why they even allowed me to attend. But hey, if you get the chance to able to wield magic, why not?

"Chase, Annabeth"

"RAVENCLAW"

My heart was pounding and my brain was filled to the brim with thoughts and questions; will I trip and fall on the way up? That would be so embarrassing! What if the Hat doesn't know where to put me and just decides that I shouldn't go to Hogwarts? Ooh, what pranks could I do? And who could I use to my advantage...? Can I even go through with this? Oh don't be a baby (Y/N), you can do this! How hard could this be? You're just walking up to a stool and putting on a silly hat, what could be the matter?

"McLean, Piper"

"HUFFLEPUFF"

"Malfoy, Draco"

"SLYTHERIN"

"Grace, Jason"

"HUFFLEPUFF"

"Jackson, Percy"

"GRYFFINDOR"
Gryffindor erupted in cheers at this for some reason, and a few even shouted "We got Jackson!"

"DiAngelo, Nico"

"SLYTHERIN"

"Levesque, Hazel"

"HUFFLEPUFF"

"(L/N), (Y/ N)"

At last! My name was finally called amongst the chaos. I walked up to the Hat. With each step I grew closer and closer to my Hogwarts destiny.

As I reached the Hat, it was placed on top of my head and suddenly, it did something I surely wasn't expecting. It started to talk to me, how peculiar!

Ahhh, a (L/N)... Hmmm, intellectual , brave, courteous, charming. However, quite cunning and sly, not to mention mischievous. Better be..

"SLYTHERIN" 

Hmm, not bad, I suppose. I walked over to the Slytherin table and sat next to the Nico kid. Laying my head on top of my arms, the names and shouting of houses grew distant as I zoned out. I ran my eyes along the details and architectural design around me, analyzing every crack. The architecture was completely different than my house. It amazed me, to say the least, to think how much time and effort was spent to make this school the way it is today. Obviously, magic significantly lightened the work load, but it was still a wonder to imagine.

A few moments later I was snapped out of my thoughts as Professor Dumbledore started speaking some odd words. He said something like, Nitwit, Oddment, Blubber, Twit? No Tweak. That sounds like nonsense to me! How strange. We sang the school song (which thankfully had words appear out of nowhere..?).

Shortly after, it was time to eat. Oh my, it was food heaven for me! There was almost every food imaginable, as far as the eye could see. My mouth watered as I eyed the delicacies. I didn't waste a second as I devoured all I could eat.

•••

Hm, why not make some friends while I can? In a school like this, it's imperative to have a higher amount of allies rather than enemies.
I turned to the person sitting to my left and said, "Hi! I'm (Y/ N) (L/N). I hope we can be good friends!"
I stuck a hand out for him to shake.
He replied "Nico DiAngelo, pleasure to meet you" and he shook my hand.

I have a good feeling about us. Hopefully this will be one of many great relationships.

•••

Some years later...

Here I am, in my fourth year. So much has happened lately it was crazy to imagine that I wasn't living in a dream. I participated in countless crazy and incredible adventures while learning about things I had no idea existed. I managed to make friends and was even universally liked around campus. Despite me being a Slytherin, most were able to put that aside. Everyday I learn something new and I am so proud to admit that I am a part of the Hogwarts community.

Now the Yule Ball is here, which is kind of like prom for witches and wizards. I hope someone asks me, specifically someone having a name that begins with an N and rhymes with 'chicko'. Okay, I'll admit, I have a small crush on him. It may sound cliché, but there was just something about him that makes my heart thump and my stomach flutter. He understood me and was always there for me in my time of need. Love isn't just about looks, it's absolutely important that you take personality and what a person is on the inside into consideration.

  Perched on top of a satin-clad sofa in the Slytherin commons room, I studied frantically for a quiz on the Three Unforgivable Curses. Though I already memorized them, it's better to be safe then sorry! Hogwarts isn't all fight and duels, grades are very important. As I tried my best to memorize the bullet points laid before me, I heard footsteps coming my way.

I lifted my gaze from my thick book and noticed Nico. He walked in, hands shaky and ears tinted red. It was hardly noticeable, but I knew him a long time. That's strange. As he walked towards me, I allowed my mind to concoct crazy conclusions and fantasies of what was about to come. Perhaps he was going to ask to the Ball? No, I don't think I should get ahead of myself. I shook my head and let out a shaky breath to clear the intrusive thoughts.

He walked up to me and began to stammer, his ears becoming more and more scarlet with every word.
"Hey (Y/ N), uh, I-I was wondering if y-you'd like to go to t-the Yule Ball with me?"
I blinked in disbelief. I didn't actually think he would ask me! Attempting to calm myself down, I took a deep breath.
"Yes, Nico. I would love to go with you," I said, hopefully not sounding like a mess.
Nico brightened up at my reply, apparently not thinking I would yes.
"Great, uh, see you there?"
"Yeah, see you there!"

He then quickly strode out of the commons, relieved of pressure.
I managed to hear a quiet "Yes!"
I giggled to myself. It finally kicked in that my crush actually asked me to the Ball. I quickly pinched myself, just to check if I was somehow dreaming.

Wincing at the small pain, I grinned. Nope, not dreaming. The only problem I had now was to find out what to wear.