Chapter 20- Summer

Chapter 20- Summer

A week has gone by already. I have not seen the boys lately due to getting ready for college and other things. I went to my grandmum's house the following day. She was doing worse hen last time. She could not get up to get the door, instead she yelled to come in through the door.

She was lying on the couch and dad was getting everything. The thing that I remember about that day is what she said to me. "Summer Lorena, I need to tell you something," she said weakly while trying to reach for me. I grabbed her hand and sat on the floor beside her. "I have been fighting for a long time. It's really hard to keep fighting and I am staying alive to see you and your father grow up so much. I love you so much and I have to tell you that I have a brain tumor. I had a tumor for a couple of years now, which is the reason why my hair is really short. The doctor told me that my tumor is where my mobility is in my brain, which is the reason why I haven't left my house in a long time. Now, I can't walk and your dad is taking me to the hospital tonight, so the doctors are going to take care of me. I want you to know I love you very, very much and I promise that you will see me again." She said weakly while looking at me with sad eyes.

As I think about what happened last week, I start to cry. I haven't seen her in years and here is going to die soon. Tonight is the party that I am supposed to go with Niall. Now, I am looking at the scrapbooks and photos that my mum made when she had spare time. I started with the first book of the first year of my life. She was in the hospital, holding me in her arms. I have my wrist bracelet from the hospital and a copy of my birth certificate. I found a picture of grandmum holding me and she seemed really happy and full of life. I found a DVD of all of the memories and my parents made it before I moved. I haven't had time to watch it so I am going to watch it now. One of my favorite songs played in the beginning of the video.

There are places I remember

All my life, though some have changed

Some forever not for better

Some have gone and some remain

All these places have their moments

With lovers and friends I still can recall

Some are dead and some are living

In my life I've loved them all

There were pictures before I was born. The pictures from my parents' wedding, the photos of their honeymoon, and photos of my parents were happy and full of jubilation. They were really happy with everyone and everything. They had videos of me doing something new to impress them. They were always so proud of me for going further in life. I had tears in my eyes as I kept watching the movies my parents made for me. Those were the happiest moments in my life.

"Memories, even your most precious ones, fade surprisingly quickly. But I don't go along with that. The memories I value most, I don't ever see them fading." Never Let Me Go reminds of the precious memories I went through all of these years. The precious memories that made who I am or what I want to be. I became an artist because all of the lessons that my mum taught. All of the awards, portraits, competitions, hours of dedications and everything were well worth it and made me want to be an artist even more.

+++++

I already watched all the DVDs already and I am just staring at the black screen of the telly in the living room. I go to the storage room on the far side of the house and I rummage through the boxes to find more memories or anything I can find. There was something that caught my eye. The light from the window is causing the object to shine. I walk over to the item and it was a chest. I have seen the chest, but when, I ask myself.