The Point of No Return {sequel to The Arbitrary life of Avery Blake [teacher]}26

Chapter 26

Shakespeare’s great tragedy- “They're . . . terrifying.”

My throat felt dry and rough; it hurt every time I tried to swallow.

Water; that simple word brought a cyclone within myself. But my dehydration wasn’t even close to the severity of my other problems.

Corbin.

He was close, but I couldn’t see him.

Darkness overwhelmed me as I sat in the cabin I feared so much.

Then, out of nowhere, I heard Corbin’s footsteps from across the room as he appeared in front of me; a sudden spotlight coming over him.

Corbin smiled his sinister grin before he lunged at me. I could feel the air within me slowly seep out until I was merely a shell with no inside.

I shook awake, instantly jumping in my bed.

Another nightmare; great.

I hadn’t really wanted to admit it to anyone but these had been happening to me since my life started spiralling out of control.

It was almost a nightly routine to go through these revolting dreams; but that didn’t make it any less fearful.

Each time they got worse and worse until I couldn’t bare it anymore.

I then inhaled deeply and closed my eyes tightly; trying to regain my self-control. But when I opened them; I was faced with another inner demon.

A girl stood in front of me, but the face seemed older than her years. Her lanky arms stood hanging past her waist. Her long, blonde hair was left hanging in three parts; two being pulled in the front which dropped past her breasts and the other section being left at the back. This girl looked like a Barbie doll; but instead of being perky and happy; her life looked like it had been drained out of her and what was left was a poor representation of her.

Jenna.

The girl to whom I had shared the same experience with, but instead of being saved by her prince charming (like I had), nobody was there to save her and she was left to be tortured, raped and killed by Corbin. The girl was merely a child.

I knew exactly how she had felt; and hey, I almost reached the same result as she had. If Cole had got there a few seconds later, I would have died in that cabin, just like little Jenna did.

‘Avery,’ she spoke my name in complete composure with a straight tone; her voice and face were almost expressionless.

I didn’t know what to do. This wasn’t possible. How could little Jenna be standing not a few metres away from me? She was dead!

Tears were forming in my eyes as I tried to reach out to her; to help her, to comfort her. But my hands grasped nothing but cold, chilly, morning air. I only then noticed the Goosebumps all over my bare skin.

‘Why did you get to live, Avery? Why did you survive and I had to die?’ her soft voice enveloped me. And in an instance, she was gone.

My eyes blurred and my head spun as I fell to my knees. I wrapped my arms around my stomach and began to sob as my head simply hung there.

And all the time, her words circled and haunted me. Jenna was right; what made my life more important than hers? Why did that little girl die? And was it to ensure I was to live?

But more importantly, what was that? How could she have stood there for what felt like an eternity? Was I going crazy?

**