The Point of No Return {sequel to The Arbitrary life of Avery Blake [teacher]}13

Chapter 13

Inner Desires- ‘I wish things could be simpler’

I was planning on going to see Harry Potter with Meghann on Sunday but I had locked myself in my room instead. So it was now Monday and I was on my way towards Music, a little earlier than usual as I didn’t want to bump into Meghann as I knew she was already suspicious as it was.

I feared that Cole…er…Mr Ford would be there but I was willing to take that risk. It didn’t matter if he was there or not as I was just going to sit there and ignore him.

But luck was on my side (unusual right?) and he wasn’t in there but the door was left ajar.

I took a seat at the back, a little different from my usual front row seat.

I heard someone walk in and exhale as they must have seen me. Mr Ford the approached his desk and sat down, staring straight out at me.

I tried to ignore him as I had intended to and I looked out the window as tears were forming in my eyes. Yes, for the first time since I had come back from the clinic…at least I knew I had something there.

‘Avery?’ I heard him ask.

I ignored him and kept staring.

‘I, um, spoke to Naomi.’

I looked up to him with wide-eyes at that.

‘Don’t worry, she didn’t tell me anything. I asked her about you and she simply said that you weren’t talking and you were acting strange but it wasn’t her place to tell me, I had to talk to you myself. Will you tell me?’ he asked.

My expression softened as she hadn’t told him anything.

I looked away and fiddled with my fingers to distract myself.

I heard his chair slide back as his foot-steps approached me.

‘Avery?’ he asked as he stopped in front of my table but still attempting to keep his distance.

‘Just go.’ I whispered as my voice was very crackly because I hadn’t spoken in a while.

‘Is it the baby?’ he hesitantly asked.

I put my elbow on the table and leaned my head against the palm of my hand as I was hoping he would get the message.

He sighed in frustration before returning to his desk, gaze never leaving me.

After a minute or so in silence and awkwardness, I heard a second set of footsteps walk into the room before someone sat beside me.

‘Hey Avery.’ Kiren said.

Kiren seemed…normal. Strangely enough. It seemed as though he was out of his little faze. I looked up at him and realized he looked happy but it looked as though he hadn’t slept in fair too long. He also looked very pale.

‘Hi.’ I whispered.

‘…what’s wrong…?’ he dragged out as he must have got a better look at me. It seemed as though both of us weren’t the best. His reasons, unknown.

‘Nothing.’ I lied.

‘Things seem very…intense between the two of you.’ He whispered in my ear. ‘And not in a good way.’

I didn’t reply to him as I didn’t know what to say.

‘Talk to me Avery, I’m here for you. I know I’ve been an idiot lately but I’ve had my reasons. But just know I’m sorry and I want to be your best friend again.’