Lovelorn

Emily's POV

It was Wednesday. The worst Wednesday I have ever experienced.

It all started with Trisha and Kira before school. I usually go to a book club before school on Wednesdays, but Trisha texted me and insisted that I meet her in the backyard of the school. Because the backyard of the school was creepy and small, I knew she meant business.

I put my things away into my locker and took my light jacket off. The weather began getting warmer, and winter was coming to a stop. Soon, flowers would bloom and brighten the boring outdoors.

I took my phone with me and sped walked outside. It was freezing cold without a jacket, but I hugged my arms close to my chest and walked through the snow in my combat boots. My mustard yellow sweater kept me warm, but my mom jeans didn't help much.

I saw Trisha, accompanied by Kira, leaning against the brick wall of the school. I approached cautiously, careful not to appear angry or annoyed, which I was.

"Emily, thank God you came. We need to talk to you about Jynx," Kira said, but I didn't look at her. Instead, I gave Trisha an aggressive look.

When I didn't respond, Trisha added, "I think you need to hear this."

Her voice cracked with sincerity, so I knew it was serious. I nodded and leaned against the wall beside Trisha.

Kira continued, "I heard you two aren't doing so hot still, and now it's gonna get worse."

I raised an eyebrow. Jynx and I were getting better, so it was odd that this was even a topic of conversation.

"We heard that Elaine asked Jynx out, and she said yes," Trisha said. Anger surged throughout my body. "But hey, we also heard that Hunter wants to ask you out today, so maybe this is a sign. Maybe you two need to split up."

Wind howled in my ears and chilled my brain. My eyes watered, both from the breeze and the news. I didn't even know whether they were telling the truth, but I believed them because Jynx and I were broken.

"So why did you tell me?" I asked.

Kira stepped away from the wall and walked up to face me. Her body stood tall with confidence, but I still towered over her, which made me happy. In a way, I was protecting Trisha.

"You can't be with Jynx anymore," Kira said. Her tone was urgent.

It was almost like it was her relationship. Ironic, considering she rarely stays in relationships for more than a month. What a bitch, telling me what to do with my relationship.

I replied, "Says who? There's no proof, and maybe it was a mistake. I made mistakes, so I deserve it."

"That's no way to date someone," she persisted.

"Excuse you!" I snapped. "It's my relationship. You don't get to show up with your petty opinions and sass me into breaking up with Jynx. That's not how to date someone."

She stared at me for a while, her multicolored hair falling over her eyes. Then, she backed off.

Trisha chimed in, "You should at least know that she's with Elaine now. It seems like you two broke up already."

I turned to glance at her. Her eyes looked sincere. Her sad eyes and crooked frown and slouched posture made me sink. I sank deep into doubt and regret. Somehow, Trisha could change my mind with one glance. I trusted her. She was my best friend, and I trusted her more than anyone.

"What should I do about it?" I asked.

She shrugged. "You see her at lunch, right?"

Kira looked at Trisha and held out her hand. Trisha didn't dare move her gaze from me, but her hand reached out and grabbed Kira's hand with a big smack.