Capricious

Jynx's POV

The last bell rang, and students poured out of the school's exits. However, I stayed behind because coming home with Emily was no longer an option. She made it very clear that I couldn't be seen at her house, and watching her mother on Friday made it even more clear.

I kicked my locker after it wouldn't unlock for the fourth time. Thankfully, it heeded my warning and popped right open! My backpack sat there, waiting for me, and I grabbed it. I didn't need it for last hour, so I always kept it there until after school.

My phone vibrated in my butt pocket, and I slowly pulled it out. It was Emily. "Room 126 rn." I rolled my eyes and didn't respond. After closing my locker, I began walking downstairs to the first floor.

The first floor had the English and Social Studies classrooms. Most of those teachers were either crackheads or theater nerds. I didn't know the teacher in room 126, but I could tell it was Social Studies as I caught a glimpse of the electoral college map on the door.

My grand entrance caused Emily and the teacher to cease speaking for a moment. They stared at me, and the teacher gave me a nasty look. It was just the two of them, and I wondered what they were up to.

The teacher was a young man, probably still in his twenties. He had very dark hair that was spiked up with gel and hairspray. His glasses and tie made him look like a complete nerd, but there were baseball posters near his desk, so I assumed he played and was fit from it.

"Jynx! I'm just working with Mr. Scott to help prepare for economics next year," Emily said, her face bright with excitement.

I had no idea she was into economics, but she enjoyed math and political sciences, so it was at least somewhat in her alley. It was like the useless vase in her house of hobbies! Plus, she was already planning on taking AP Stats next year too, so it all tied together.

The teacher laughed and added, "I'm also trying to convince her to tutor Hunter for economics. She already knows the textbook perfectly, and he's not doing as great as he does with his other classes."

I raised an eyebrow. My heart sank too, but that was less visible. "Tutoring? Hunter?!"

Emily slowly got up, glanced at Mr. Scott, and walked over to me. She plopped her hands into my shoulders and looked down at me. Of course, I got lost in her dark eyes.

"I promise that nothing will happen between us. This is just a good opportunity for me to get ready for economics, and tutoring looks good on college applications," she explained, worry and fear seeming to slip away from her.

She says one thing, but she'll probably fall for this cishet boy with ugly hair and poor fashion choices. It's not that I dislike Hunter, but Emily's mine, and the fact that she'll be tutoring someone who has interest in her makes me sick. I trust her, I really do, but I don't trust them together.

The teacher cleared his throat dramatically when I make no response. It's obvious that I'm contemplating the situation. We break eye contact once I looked over at the teacher. He suddenly realized that Emily and me were a couple, and Hunter posed a threat to our relationship.

The teacher stood up and began packing away his class materials and technology. While doing so, he chimed in, "Hunter is a bit of a boundless boy, but I doubt he'll encroach on your personal space if you tell him off."

I didn't want the teacher to see us fight, so I just nodded my head and kept silent. Emily let go of my shoulders and packed her things into her backpack. The teacher stared at me, giving me a sympathetic look, but I simply turned my cheek and helped my girlfriend.

Once we left the room, I nudged her harshly against the shoulder. She rubbed the spot and groaned. "What the hell?" She said.

"Hunter? Out of all the douchebags you could tutor, you chose him? I trust you, but I don't trust him," I replied, not making eye contact with her.

She scoffed and tried to hold my hand, but I flinched and refused. "C'mon, he won't do anything. I promise," she said.

Her hand continued trying to grab hold of mine, but I repeatedly withdrew my hand. Her body, face, and voice all sounded so carefree. How could she feel that way when Hunter almost broke us up? He's the one guy she's liked for years, and now she gets to be alone with him. There's a good chance she'll do our kissing lessons with him, and it makes my stomach ache.

Whenever people say that they're in pain because of their relationship, I always shrug it off. I never imagined that it would cause physical pain, but my throat felt dry, and my hands got all sweaty. It felt like shit. I spent so much time and energy on her, and Hunter's going to throw it all away.

When she promised, I just sighed and let her win for once. Arguments with her were completely futile, like arguing with a debate team nerd. We continued walking down the hall and towards the creepy stairs of the school. They were the makeout and drug user stairs, but they were closest to us.

As usual these days, we walked up to the commons to grab a snack. There were always three fully stocked vending machines, and the principal occasionally tried to bribe students with cheap food by adding a healthy foods vending machine.

I pulled out my wallet, but Emily pulled out a few coins from her pocket and handed them over, almost like a peace offering. We stared at each other for a few seconds before I gave her a quick peck on the lips.

I always got some potato chips, so I shoved the coins into the machine and watched the bag drop down. I bent down to pick it up, and Emily's hand brushed up against my ass. When I stood straight again, I glared at her playfully and opened the bag.

"Want a ride home?" I asked, offering her a chip. When she took it, I added, "Or is your mom gonna freak out?"

She munched on the chip and chuckled. "She's working late tonight. It's worth it anyways, babe."

Blush spread across my face. I looked down at the floor and smiled. She got me flustered!

Once we got to the parking lot, we climbed into my car. With my backpack in the backseat and my chips in the cup holders, I started the car and began pulling out of the parking lot. My heavy metal trash started, and Emily began humming long to the screamo. It's always funny hearing such a pretty, innocent girl be into something so dark.

Maybe I was the girl that parents warn their kids about. Perhaps I'm the bad girl I never wanted to be.

Once we got to her house, I pulled up into her driveway and stopped the car. She leaned over and gave me a kiss on the cheek, so I gasped.

"Not on the lips?"

She rolled her eyes and came in for my lips, and she kissed me softly. Her hand slowly rested on my cheek, and she wouldn't let go for a while. When she did, she stole another potato chip and began getting out of the car.

She said, "Don't worry about Hunter. Seriously, I won't let him do anything. I love you." With that, she closed the door and grabbed her backpack from the backseat. Her feet carried her over to her house, and she walked inside.

I watched her leave. Once she got inside the house, I rolled down a window and pulled out a cigarette. Light smoke wafted out the end when I lit it, and I placed my mouth on the orange part. Inhale, exhale. It eased my worries about Hunter, and I slowly pulled out of the driveway.

A/N: I know y'all hate Hunter, but I need to drive the plot forward. Sorry!