Lady Danger

Emily's POV

I sat down at the lunch table across from Jynx since Elaine was sitting beside her. I had soup and salad today because there were chicken legs on the other line. I also grabbed some apple juice and a granola bar.

Everyone at the table greeted me except for Elaine and Carlos. I think Carlos dislikes me, but I'm not sure why.

"What's up?" I asked calmly.

Lindsay did a sassy hair flip, letting her soft, blonde hair smack Jack in the face. "WELL, the choir concert is coming up in two days, and the quiz bowl is having a huge party on Friday."

"Are you going to that?" Jynx asked, most likely referring to quiz bowl.

I guess it was an accurate prognostication that I would do something nerdy like that, but I'm actually more into other random clubs. Last year I did tons of nerdy stuff, but I was just an ignorant freshman. I should've known better.

"No! I do art club in the winter and science club in the spring."

Jynx rolled her eyes dramatically, and Elaine glared at me. I was scared of her. She seemed tough and scary even though she probably wouldn't hurt me. It was like staring at a shark while it just swam in its tank.

Then, the transgender couple started sharing a funny story about a math teacher. I was too busy staring at Jynx to listen. I was studying her. Her black outfit, silvery hair, and blue eyes. She was like a winter goddess. All she needed was ice powers. She didn't notice me staring until halfway through the story.

Our eyes locked onto each other, and we both blushed a bit. She bit her lip right where her lip ring was, so it got caught between her front teeth. It was so cute how she did that, and I just couldn't stop staring.

Then, our moment was ruining when Elaine said something, and Jynx started talking to her. They even kissed a bit.

I swallowed my feelings down along with my food as I finished my lunch. I saw Jack heading to dump her tray so I followed her quickly to catch up. She was already almost done putting her tray away when I started.

I put the silverware away first, then dumped the garbage, dumped the food, and finally put the tray on a stack of other dirty trays.

Before Jack headed back to the table, I stopped her by the shoulder. She turned around and faced me. She was quite the sight... A black and gray hoodie, baggy jeans, and high tops. Her hair was brown and short, gelled up into a quiff like many boys had. Her eyes were a very light brown, almost like Trisha's but more brown and less orange.

"Thanks for telling Trisha that Elaine and Jynx were dating."

She gave me a confused look, but then nodded. "Hey, it's no problem. Lindsay said it was the least I could do to a new friend." With a nod, she continued walking, but I continued to hold her back. I wanted to talk to her more, and it wasn't just because her voice was all raspy yet smooth and cool sounding...

"I was wondering if you knew how Jynx felt about me?"

She clenched her jaw and put her hands in her hoodie pockets as she stared at me. She raised her chin up a bit, studying me carefully.

Her facial features were pretty feminine, truthfully. She didn't wear much makeup, like eyeshadow or blush, but I could tell she wore concealer and did her eyebrows. Her skin was super pale, though, but I guess some part of her had to be off.

"She's into you, I guess, but I'm not sure if I would take it personally. She tends to be a bit of a fuckboy. She's never really dated someone for more than a month, I think."

And then, with that, she started walking off again. My hand slipped off her shoulder, and I let her walk back to the table. I was in awe at all of the information I had just received.

So, basically, Jynx liked me, but that was common. She liked a lot of girls, and I presume she's been with a ton. Not for long, but a lot. That was both really good news and really bad news. That meant that she wouldn't date Elaine for long, but if she dated me it wouldn't last long either.

That sucked, for some reason. I'm not sure if I'd ever date her, but recently I've been having the feeling that I should.

I used to have my mind occupied with Hunter, but I didn't talk to him much. Jynx was my best friend, however. We were constantly hanging out, and we knew each other quite well.

I sighed and trudged back to the table. I sat in front of Jynx and Elaine, watching them giggle and have fun. They seemed pretty happy, but occasionally the short girl would glance over to me and smile endearingly.