Modesty

TRIGGER WARNING: domestic violence/abuse

We heard the garage door close when my mom finished parking, but it was too late.

Jynx tried to pushed me off of her, but I was too heavy, and I was still too groggy to process what was happening. She screamed something at me, and I could see the panic in her eyes, but everything sounded fuzzy and distant.

The door opened, and it was too late.

My mom's eyes widened as she saw what happened. Jynx and I were still laying mushed together.

"What the hell is this?" She yelled, running towards us.

In the blink of an eye, I regained consciousness completely. Jynx finally managed to push me away, and she tried to held me up. Once we both stood on our feet, we tried to find a way to escape the situation. My mom stood in the doorway, so we were basically stuck. Once she began approaching us, we split up at the dinner table. However, the adult glared at me, and she didn't mind Jynx too much. Jynx managed to make it to the front door, and she began putting on her shoes and grabbing her backpack, but her eyes widened as my mom approached with her arm raised high above her head.

I screamed and closed my eyes. Her hand swung and smacked me across the cheek. A loud clap resonated throughout the house, and my face immediately felt numb.

My mom never hit me in my life, and it felt awful. Not only did it sting like a motherfucker, but I didn't know it was so possible to be so heartbroken by different things in the same week.

My mom was never around to grow a proper relationship with me. We love each other, and we tried to show affection, but being a single mom took a huge toll on her free time. It's been years since there's been a man in the house, so going through most of school without parental help was tough. I relied on friends and teachers to help me and be my parental figures.

Jynx shouted something again, but my ears started ringing. I raised my hand to cover the raw feeling on my face, but my mom slapped me again on the other side.

I fell to my knees and listened to my mom scream at me.

Words jumbled in my head, and all I could make out was "You aren't a faggot!"

Jynx ran out of the house, hollering something about seeing me later, and I was alone with my mom.

She shoved her wrinkly yet firm face in front of mine, but all I could care about was the burning pain on my face. My jaw hurt, but the pain soon faded away, just like my trust and faith in my mom. Although there was never any strong trust between us, especially after she met Jynx, I still respected her and told her the truth when necessary. After being slapped twice by someone who you respect and look up to, things start to change. I realized that my mom was never truly an ally of mine, and all I had left was my friends and teachers.

"Emily, I am very disappointed in you. I cant' believe you'd stab me in the back! You were just with a boy, and now you're back with this queer, lesbian, emo chick?! This is a fucking outrage, and I forbid you from ever seeing her again, do you hear me? I said, DO YOU HEAR ME?!"

Without thinking much, I nodded. Obviously though, I'd still see Jynx. Even though I couldn't trust the one woman living in the same house as I, Jynx and I could still see each other. We were pretty good at keeping our feelings for each other a secret, so keeping our relationship a secret from my mom wouldn't be too hard either. I'd risk anything for her.

A/N: Although this chapter is meant to move the plot along and show a broken domestic relationship, I just want to take the time to emphasize that I am always here for you guys. Even though it may not seem like it, I am constantly checking Wattpad. I read all comments, and I always respond to messages! Please, if no one will listen to you, I will. I struggle with my own shit, so we can help each other out :) Thank you for 50k btw!