Mocha

Jynx's POV

I pushed on the ground hard with my black converse and zoomed ahead of Emily. She gasped and pushed ahead as well, matching my speed but not distance. I looked behind myself and fixed my black beanie, trying not to lose balance as well. She smirked, noticing how much I was struggling now, and continued speeding up. We were facing each other perfectly on the road. I lead with my left foot and she with her right, so we stood on our boards facing each other.

I held my hands out, offering to 'romantically' hold hands with her while going down the upcoming hill. My eyes gazed up at hers, and she seemed to smile a bit. Not like smile, but smile.

I bit my lip as she grabbed my hands, our fingers intertwining. She gave a playful wink as we started rushing down the hill. We both bent our knees a bit and looked ahead. It wasn't a steep slope at all, but it was long as hell.

We went super fast. Everything behind Emily was a blur. All I could focus on was her mesmerizing brown eyes and her light pink lips. Her makeup was well done, and her hair was neatly brushed through. Her white beanie matched her white sweater (with a cat on the center) but contrasted with her black leggings and combat boots.

We were both giggling like crazy, trying to steer properly as we eventually made it down the hill. We were almost to Starbucks. It was down another two blocks and just around the corner. On our way, we saw a small grocery store outlet. It was just small businesses and restaurants. My mother often shopped there because they had cheap food, and that's what we needed most.

We let go of each other as we turned the corner, shifting to the sidewalk so we wouldn't get hit by the oncoming cars. The ride was bumpier on the sidewalk, but Starbucks was close by, so it didn't matter.

When we got there, we jumped off at the same time and grabbed our long boards before they scooted away. Then, we both scampered into Starbucks like it was the coolest place in the world.

There were like 5 people there, but no one in line. Thank goodness! It was a nice looking building. There were two main entrances to the building—one that leads towards the grocery store outlet mall and one that leads to a parking lot. There were about 15 tables in the store. Some were long and square, some were small and round. Some were tall and some were short. There was a fireplace near the entrance to the parking lot, but it was only on in the winter. It currently was Autumn.

We both walked up to the counter of Starbucks with our longboards in hand. Emily got her phone from her pocket and opened it up to the Starbucks app. She seemed to have tons of cards on there!

"What would you girls like?" The cashier asked. It was a 25 year old looking girl with long brown hair, but she wasn't the most attractive person I've seen...

Emily looked over at me, motioning for me to order first. I was so excited to get a nice, warm drink from Starbucks, I could hardly remember my order!

"I'll have a grande white chocolate mocha with a quarter of raspberry!" I articulated perfectly, my eyebrows cocking with pride.

Then, I took a step back and saw Emily's face. It was a mostly neutral face, but she seemed a bit shocked. Then, she looked back at the cashier and ordered, "I'll have a grande peppermint mocha, please!"

The cashier nodded and clicked on the register a few times. She scanned Emily's phone for the card and smiled back at both of us. "Your names?"

"I'm Jynx."

"I'm Emily."

The cashier got two white cups out and wrote something on the bottom box on the cup and then wrote our names. Standard procedure!

Then, we waited by the little open space where the coffee was handed out. Emily seemed a bit uneasy. I'm not sure what it was, but it's like she wanted to tell me something.

"Are you okay?" I ask and looked up at her.

The height difference between us is insane, and funny! She's tall and skinny—lanky in a general sense. I'm short and curvy. Maybe not skinny, but at least I got some meat on my bones!

"Yeah, I was just wondering if you wanted to go to a party tomorrow night. Josh is throwing it."

I heard about that. It's supposed to be mostly juniors and seniors, but some sophomores are coming. How did Emily know about that?

"Uh, sure I guess..."

I didn't really know how to respond. I want to spend more time with her, but is going to more parties the right answer? Hell, I embarrassed the shit outta her the first time we laid eyes on each other! I doubt we want to attract anymore attention.

Still, I wouldn't mind partying. I have so much school work and stress at home that I need it. My parents are assholes, my siblings are clingy, and my grades are in the toilet. I need alcohol or a smoke, and parties help me out with just that!

"A white mocha with raspberry for Jynx, and a peppermint mocha for Emily!" The barista called out.

We both stepped forward and grabbed our warm drinks. It was a bit chilly outside, so this felt perfect. I loved Starbucks so much. The drinks were sweet, but not too sweet, and they always felt like hugs.

We decided to sit at a table, so we laid our longboards against the wall by the table we chose: a high table. The chairs had a metallic look, and the table matched. The chairs weren't too tall, so I could climb onto them, but it was still probably funny to watch me shimmy onto the seat.

We stared across from each other. Her hair fell in front of her face a bit. It was a nice, rich brown, but not super dark. It even had natural highlights in it that were a more subtle shade of brown. Her part was heavily to one side, whereas mine was a lot more towards the center.

She took a sip of her drink and smiled. I chuckled a bit and took a sip of my drink. Perfection! It tasted like white chocolate and strawberries! I did order raspberry, but it doesn't really taste like raspberry, which I love!

"You told Hunter that I'm a good kisser?" She asked.

Ah, she found out. I did tell Hunter that the kiss at the party was phenomenal, but that's obviously bullshit. That first kiss was like kissing a five year old. She was stiff and nervous. Emily looked like she was shitting herself, and I'm not lying one bit. Still, I decided to do her a solid. Hunter means a lot to her, and I didn't want to pass up a perfectly good opportunity just because I was embarrassed.

I nodded in response to Emily and took another sip of my hot drink. It was sweet and delicious! But I just didn't feel excited about it anymore. I helped Emily get one step further away from me. Now Hunter's impressed, and he's even invited her to a party! I'm so fucked. Why did I ever fall for her? Oh, that's right, because she's hot! Ugh...

"Thanks... Jynx, you have no idea how much that means to me! Really, thank you so much!"

The joy on her face at least gave me a glimmer of hope. She seemed grateful, which was something. Besides, I still get to make out with her a ton. Was I really missing out on anything? Doubtful.

Then again, dating isn't just dating. It's stuff like this, minus talking about Hunter. It's being fully involved.

I think I'm getting half a relationship from Emily, and it's my half. She's not doing anything, which sucks!

I got off the chair and pick up my longboard with one hand, since my drink was in the other.

"Em, I better go. My mom's probably wondering where I am."

She nodded and got off her chair as well. Damn, I was really hoping she would just stay! I needed to clear my mind.

We both got out of the Starbucks and started making our way home on our long boards. We had to go a bit slower because of our drinks, but it was kind of fun to just cruise around. She was so happy and simple. I wish I was like her. Cute, smart, rich, funny, and happy. Instead, I'm just a weird, short, punk lesbian. I was a disappointment to my family and even some friends...

Eventually, we split up to go home. I was sad to see her go, but that's because I have a crush on her. Ugh, I wish I had never kissed her at that party, but it was the best thing that's ever happened to me.