Giddy

I invited Emily to my neighborhood to show her a secret hideout that I was sure she'd love. Ever since I moved, the secret hideout was the only place that truly felt like home. I know it's shocking, but I kind of missed my old life down in the south. I was little, okay?

Anyways, she came over pretty late at night. It was a Friday night, and she borrowed her mom's car to get a lift. She had just passed her license test, and she was having a lot of fun driving around. Of course, it wasn't totally legal for her to do it by herself, but that didn't matter to her.

When she parked in my driveway and texted me, I ran downstairs and out the door.

"You're here! I have something to show you!" I exclaimed and held out my hand.

She locked her car and took my hand. I started dragging her across my backyard, through the woods, and down a brook until we reached the spot.

"What the fuck is that?" she asked as she gawked at a humongous tree-house.

I let go of her hand and turned to face her. "Em, this is a secret spot, okay? You can't tell anyone."

She didn't look at me. Her eyes were fixed on the huge, advanced building behind me. I didn't even glance at the tree-house, for I knew it was still doing good. I visited the spot nearly every day, and it was always there and strong.

"Why?" she responded. "Do you smoke weed here or something?"

I laughed and looked over at the creek we walked along. It was just melting and running again, creating a soft background noise in the distance. Animals loved getting a drink from the water. I could remember watching bunnies, deer, squirrels, birds, and chipmunks hydrate while I sat perched in my tree-house.

"No, it's not that. It's just that you're special, and the tree-house is special."

We both shot each other a glance at the same time. Her brown eyes looked harsh for some reason. I could tell something was on her mind.

"Want to go up inside now?" I asked. Once she nodded, I added, "Watch your step. You might be too fat!"

She rolled her eyes and lightly punched my shoulder before walking past me to start climbing up the ladder. It was a ladder made out of planks of wood that were nailed onto the tree trunk. She found it hard to use at first, but I helped her get up.

Then, she secured herself onto the plank of wood right before the entrance to the tree-house. She could see inside—see that there was nothing particularly interesting in there except for some booze and cigarettes. Well, there was also a radio and sketchbook, but they looked old enough to be gone. She looked past them, just as expected.

"So you do smoke up here? Just not weed," she commented.

I followed her up the ladder and shoved her inside the house. It easily fit both of us inside its mouth and stomach, holding us like nutrients and vital beings. I always thought of my tree-house like an alive creature that needed me to survive. Now, I fed it Emily.

I said, "The smoking and drinking doesn't matter. I came here to talk to you and relax. I was hoping we could cuddle and make out, too, if you don't mind."

She sat cross-legged near the back of the tree-house, so I sat beside her and rested my head on her shoulder.

Emily looked so warm and comfy in her pea-coat and combat boots. She even wore her ripped jeans and a brown sweater. Honestly, right when I approached her body, I could feel the heat radiating off of her. Couldn't say the same for a girl who wore sneakers and a bomber jacket instead (AKA me).

"Talk? Talk. About what?"

Clearly, something was annoying her. I could tell she was out of it. I don't know how or why, but something was off.