Sweetie

I kinda didn't heed Jynx's warning.

I know, you're already groaning and rolling your eyes, but there's something about Hunter that at least makes him a good friend.

"You promise you won't tell anyone you're helping me with health homework?" I asked.

He nudged me. "No one even takes health sophomore year. I'd embarrass you if I told anyone."

I laughed and looked down at the textbook. "So what do we study first?"

He sat on the edge of my couch, as he usually did when I helped him study, and he pointed to a diagram of the parts of the brain.

"That's on the test for sure."

"Ugh, you're kidding," I mumbled.

He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me close. Then, as he leaned in close to my ear, he whispered, "I wish."

A goofy grin spread across my face. I turned to him and pushed him away by his chest, which made him burst out laughing.

God, he was so hot. His hair, eyes, and skin. He was even pretty fit! Honestly, how could I resist a guy like Hunter? How could anyone?

"So how about you tell me the parts of the brain," he prompted.

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. He watched attentively as I refused to look at the diagram. I needed to learn. However, I soon got lost in his eyes. It was wrong. I knew I shouldn't have let myself give in. Even just emotionally, cheating on Jynx was beyond painful.

I didn't want to hurt her. That was never the intention. It's just startling, in a good way, that Hunter took interest in me. I liked it.

"You're staring at me." He smirked.

I immediately glanced down at the diagram. "I don't want to."

"Oh?"

"This isn't supposed to happen. Why are you letting me cheat on Jynx, anyways?" I asked. It was sudden, but I couldn't help asking.

He also stopped looking at me. Instead, he rested his elbows on his knees and fumbled with his thumbs, his eyes watching his hands carefully.

He said, "It's not like I want to create trouble or anything. I like you. Whether or not you fall for me is your choice."

I scoffed. "My choice? Anyone would fall for you. You took advantage of me!"

He stood up, snapping his legs so straight you could hear his knees crack.

"Are you serious? You're blaming me for your feelings? No, you were the one who agreed to do this. You wanted this."

My natural instinct was to fire back with some insult or criticism, but I just opened my mouth and let air out. I knew he was right. Every inch of my skin wanted him because he was different and new. It wasn't that I was bored of Jynx, more that I was a person that liked change.

Just another reason why I don't deserve her, I guess.

Hunter grabbed his things and packed up. I wanted to reach out to him and yank him back, but he fled like prey.

A second passed from when he stood up to when he left through the door, and I was left all alone yet again.

So alone. And I only had myself to blame.

My phone buzzed, and, when I checked, it was Jynx. It was just a silly, insignificant text to start a conversation, but I felt my heart flutter.

That's what I was missing. Someone giving me affection and attention. I was used to Jynx giving me everything I wanted, even though I didn't deserve it. She took care of me like a mom, protected me like a sister, and loved me like a girlfriend. God, I didn't deserve her after everything I had done with Hunter. I thought I loved him, for God's sake! I actually thought I liked that prick.

A second passed before I responded to the text. Another buzz,  and Jynx mentioned how she missed our little conversations. We didn't have many after she heard that I kissed Hunter the first time.

I did miss Jynx, and I did love her. I LOVE HER! It's hard to believe, but she's the only person I would want to be with for the rest of my life. Not Hunter or some other random person (I couldn't imagine marrying a girl unless it's Jynx).

"I love you, babe. Don't forget it!" I texted her.

She sent multiple heart emojis and a few cute messages.

Yeah, that's the Jynx I love.

I won't betray her again.