chapter forty-seven

"What are you going to wear?" Hannah asked digging through her bag.

"I was thinking just this?" I said pointing to my tee shirt and shorts.

"No, you're going on a date. At least look nice," she said handing me a pile of clothes. I walked into the bathroom and tried on all the different outfits she had made for me.

I decided on a grey sweater and my light blue high waisted shorts. It was cute and casual, plus I was still able to move around in it. I wasn't exactly sure where josh was going to take me but I wanted to be prepared for anything.

"What are you all dressed up for?" Pete said smirking at me as I walked into the kitchen.

"She has a date," Hannah announced. Brendon's head shot up and he furrowed his eyebrows at me. I quickly broke eye contact and nodded.

"Yeah, it's not a big deal just some guy I met at the record shop this morning,"' I said trying to make Brendon feel better. It obviously wasn't working though.

"It's a huge deal," Hannah said shushing me. I rolled my eyes and tried my hardest to smile.

"Well I hope you have fun!" Patrick said giving me a hug.

"She will!" Hannah said for me. She joined everyone at the table and I stood in the kitchen. Brendon stood up and walked over to me shyly and coughed awkwardly.

"So a date," he said.

"Yeah, I mean that's okay with you right?" I asked nervous of the answer.

"Um, yeah, of course like I've totally moved on too," he said. It was weird I had been waiting to hear those words but I didn't expect them to hurt that badly.

"You've moved on?" I asked trying not to sound hurt.

"Well I mean yeah, and you have to so I guess we're good right?" he asked.

"Brendon, it's not a game."

"I didn't say it was I'm just saying it's good that we've both moved on!"

We stood in silence looking at each other trying to get the other to admit they hadn't moved on but instead silence was the only thing happening until my phone buzzed in my pocket.

"Um, that's him, I have to go," I said walking out the door.

I walked outside and there stood the same cute boy from the record shop. He held a small bouquet of flowers in one hand and he had my side of the door open with the other.

"You looking dashing," he said smiling from ear to ear.

"As do you," I said taking the flowers in my hand and getting into the car.

He quickly walked to his side and started the car. Josh drove a convertible, typical LA boy.

"So how is Alex from the record shop tonight?" he asked smiling to himself.

"I'm wonderful," I said laughing. "Where are we going?"

"We are going on an adventure," Josh said.

"What kind?"

"I'm taking you to some of my favorite places in LA!" he said excited. I nodded and sat back and enjoyed the ride from the beach house to our first stop.

The first place we went was a small diner on the west side of town. It was such a cute place and there weren't too many people there so it was good place for Josh and I to really get to know each other.

"So, you play drums?" I asked as I took a bite of my burger.

"Yep! I've been playing drums for years now, I love it but I don't think I could ever make anything of it actually. It's more of just a hobby I guess," he said shrugging.

"I think you can do anything you put your mind to."

"I guess we'll see," he smiled.

After we finished our food we headed off to the next stop. We pulled up to the Hollywood sign and Josh turned the car off.

"Follow me!" he said as he hopped out and started running between trees. I followed close behind making sure to never let him out of my sight. Before I could say anything, we were standing right in front of the Hollywood sign overlooking the city.

"Holy shit Josh, we aren't supposed to be up here are we?" I asked laughing slighty.

"I guess not technically," he said as he layed out a blanket on the ground.

"Isnt it illegal?"

"Yes but it's technically only illegal if you get caught, and I don't plan on getting caught do you?" he asked looking right at me.

"Of course not," I said.

I sat down next to him on the blanket and we sat there and over looked the city. I learned more about Josh like how his dad is always moving and he was technically only in California temporarily.

When our night finally came to an end Josh drove me home and before I left his car I turned to him.

"Thank you, Josh," I said.

"Anything for you Alex," he smiled he leaned in and planted a small kiss on my lips and I felt my cheeks turn pink.

"It was nice to meet you," I said knowing that there was probably never a chance I would see this boy again.

"I hope one day we'll run into each other again whether it be someday soon or years from now. You're a special girl Alex," he said. I nodded and got out of the car.

I stood on the front step and watched as Josh drove away and I couldn't help but think to myself that that might have been the first and last time I'll ever see him.

And I don't know if that scared me or made me comfortable.