chapter twelve

It was Sunday now, a day and a half since my scheme on Brendon. He had gotten his phone back but he hadn't texted or called. I was honestly a little nervous I pushed him too far over the edge but I knew I would see him today. I had to stay after the service today to clean up. It wasn't a big deal considering I might run into Brendon and less time with my mother.

"Alexandria. You have hardly said a word since we got in the car, are you alright?" my mother asked.

"She's thinking about her boyfriend," Katie yelled from the back seat. I turned and gave her a glare while my mother looked at my with a look that said "you better not."

"No," I said. "Just thinking."

We got to the church and I immediately recognized the black car parked in the back. I ignored it and followed my family inside. We greeted everyone and sat in our normal seats.

The sermon went extra-long today and I felt like they were punishing me. But eventually it ended and I felt a wave of relief come over me.

"Okay honey, call me if you need a ride home after," my mother said giving me a small kiss on the cheek. I nodded and headed back to start organized all the fliers we had lying around. I hummed along to the song I first Brendon singing two weeks ago. I remember being so unpleased with his choice of words but I didn't even care anymore. I headed down the hallway but I stopped when I heard some piano playing. I leaned my head against the door and listened in.

Along with the sound of the beautiful piano was that beautiful voice. The one I first heard. He was singing something I hadn't heard this time though.

"This is gospel for the fallen ones, locked away in permanent slumber," he sang so flawlessly and I walked in. His hands fell off the keys and he looked at me. "What do you want?"

"Did you write that?" I asked amazed.

"Yeah," he was short with his words.

"It was really good," I said quieter.

"Why are you here?" he asked.

"I was just cleaning up."

"Almost done?" he smiled at me. I nodded and then he continued playing the piano.

"I didn't know you played the piano?" I said.

"Okay are you going to let me play or are you going to keep interrupting me?" he laughed. I hadn't heard his real laugh yet and it was a beautiful sound.

"I'm sorry," I said my face turning red.

"It's alright, come here," he said patting a seat next to him on the bench. I cautiously sat down next him and he started to play again. This time I didn't say anything, I just let the sounds of his fingers dancing over the keys fill the silence and soon his voice sang along. I slowly leaned my head onto his shoulder and looked at him. He looked back at me with a slight smile.

After he finished his song he stopped and just sat silent.

"It was really pretty," I whispered.

"Thanks," he said quietly.

"Brendon?" I asked. He looked at me giving me a "what?" look. "Are you mad?"

"At you?" he asked. I nodded and he laughed. "No." my eyes lit up and I smiled at him. I leaned up and I planted a kiss on him and he pulled me closer.

As I pulled back for air I looked at him and leaned towards his ear.

"I think I'm winning," I whispered.