Blood Born - Chapter 42

Start from the beginning

"Out of the way!" she shouted, bustling my skirts up to my waist.

"Must everyone be here?" I looked to my mother as she patted my already damp brow with a warm cloth.

She nodded and shushed me. "They will be needed to ensure the child is brought into the world safely."

"Okay. Where's James?"

"He's in his study awaiting word of the birth."

"Can he be here?"

"Oh heavens no, child!" the midwife nearly laughed as her face was a mere inch from my post private of places.

"I didn't know that was such a silly request. To have one's husband present while birthing their child."

"Men do not need to be in the chambers for such an intimate action!" She sounded so appalled at the very notion.

"He was there for the most intimate of actions as to put the child in my belly in the first place," I grunted between pushes as the child tried to force her way out.

"Evelyn!"

"What! I shall say as I wish. Leave me be!"

I let out a mighty bellow as the pain rang through my body. An urge to push came over me as I attempted to expel the child from my womb. Sweat poured from my head as my body trembled as each wave of labor passed by.

"I see a head!" the old woman who had her face entirely too close to parts of my body I didn't want her near. "Oh, the baby has so much hair! Beautiful golden hair! Push, my lady! Push."

"I am!" I screamed.

It felt as though my body would split in two. As the pain subsided I heard the most glorious sound. A high-pitched scream.

"It's a girl!" the midwife was across the room in a flash cleaning off the baby.

"Elizabeth," I sighed, a smile playing at my lips.

The smile didn't last long. Another pressure overcame me, urging me to push again.

"Uhm, I don't think she's done."

"She's alright," the midwife said, paying me no attention. "It's simply the afterbirth being expelled."

"I don't think so," Charlotte said, reaching between my legs. "Do forgive me, Evelyn."

"Of course it is."

"No. No, it's not. I can feel something...hard." Her eyes grew large as she pushed the skirts up further and brought light in for a look.

"Please don't burn me. I don't think the nether regions are that fascinating."

"You're not finished! There's another baby! I see the head! Black hair!"

"What?" my mother gasped. Her shock couldn't be hidden.

"There's wha, what?"

"Another baby! There's another baby!"

The noise in the room became a deafening roar as everyone whispered and bustled about. Maids came and went as more water and towels were brought. The urge to push came over me once again and I let out yet another might yell, causing Elizabeth to erupt in her own high-pitched wails. The baby slid out and began a mighty cry.

"A boy! It's a boy!"

"A boy? I have a boy?"

"And a girl!" Mother exclaimed, running from one baby to the next.

"James. Someone get James."

I felt so weak. My body was exhausted. My mind wanted to sleep.

"Evelyn?" Charlotte dabbed my face with the towel. "She's losing her color. Something's not right."

"I'm fine. I'm just tired."

The midwife hurried to my side of the bed and placed the back of her hand against my face. "Oh dear child, you are burning up."

She ran to the door and whispered to the guard. The room remained a bustle of people. Some paid me no attention. They took care of the babies as I lay in my bed. The bleeding hadn't stopped since the birth, which apparently wasn't a good thing. The physicians and midwife whispered amongst themselves as they looked at me. They argued about something. To bleed me? Not to bleed me? How to stop the bleeding?

Everyone stopped though as the door opened slowly. James crossed the room as everyone fell into silence. He glanced at our boy and girl before sitting beside me.

"My dear one."

"The babies. Are they alright?"

A smile crossed his face. The smile of a proud father. "I don't know how you did it."

"I don't think I'm doing such a good job."

"You're going to be alright, Evelyn. You've done so well."

"I'm not anymore."

"You can't die," he said, kissing my wet forehead.

I furrowed my brow and looked at him. "Of course, I can."

"Draco. You're attached to Draco."

I smiled lightly, reaching my weak hand up to his face. "I can still die. It's just when I die, he does as well."

"No. You can't die. You've brought our kingdoms such joyous news, you can't die. You can't. I need you."

He collapsed next to me, sobbing.

I ran my fingers through his hair as the room slowly cleared out except for those who were caring for the babies. Their soft cries drew my eyes open. The wet nurses sat side by side near the fireplace, feeding my beautiful son and daughter.

"Elizabeth."

"What?" James asked.

"The girl. Her name is Elizabeth."

He nodded.

"And the boy."

"Yes, my love?"

"Connall. He's Connall."

He sobbed softly as my eyes slid close. Still not having seen the faces of my new children.