Chapter Fifty Eight

Two months in captivity. Bruises from the rough ground and marks from the rats and spiders trying to use her as a source of food. Holly found herself obsessed with the workings of the spiders-how they could freely move in and out of small places. She found herself jealous and often dreamed of being similar to them-allowing the critters to also linger on her hand-even biting her-as she welcomed the controlled pain.

Leaning against the bars, she found she was skinny enough to escape and did so, before feeling victorious in her attempt. Too weak to do much more, she limped to the door and was able to see from the inside that no guard had been on duty. Instead, they were on the courtyard-greeting the return of their new Queen. The fact had been horrifying as she watched it unfold from the large balcony that looked over the majority of the neighboring cities. Gliding her nails on the stone counter in front of her, she felt a fire light deep in her body; this would not be the end of her legacy.

Lingering in the servants quarters, she waited for her most trusted servant, Gertrude, to return to her service. Upon seeing her, she followed her into her chambers and slowly closed the door. Gertrude turned with a pale expression.

"We thought you dead, ma'lady-"

"I am well aware." She spoke in a weak tone. "I need your assistance."

"Of course, anything!"

"It is about Vera." Her expression darkened.

"Lady Holly...I am not sure I can be of much help. She has threatened us all..."

"Threatened you?"

Gertrude nodded, her frail fingers beginning to tremble upon thinking of it.

"I can promise you, I will not let it continue."

Gertrude gave a polite smile. "Do not find me rude for suggesting such a thing, but how do you imagine to do so? You are far too...injured-"

"I will explain everything to you...including where I was and the truth of Vera...but I ask for your help. I must rest and be fed in order to retrieve strength."

"What will be done after that?"

"I will somehow expose her for everything awful she has done. I also need you to keep a close eye on her. The child-specifically."

"The child?"

Holly nodded.

"She is not with child."

"I must know one last thing...her marriage to Dawson...do you know how it came to be?"

"I do not ma'am...but..."

"What is it? I will protect you, Gertrude-I swear it."

"I...When they were exchanging vows, Dawson had...had this look in his eye. Dead...it is the best way I can describe it. He also had a glare toward Lord Nicholas. A hatred...is a better word."

"Thank you for your honest. If you do not mind, I need to rest."

"Of course. I will bring you some stew in a little while. If anyone is to ask, you are my granddaughter."

"Thank you, you will be fairly rewarded for this-I promise."

"Being a servant to you is far enough-"

"Never a servant."

"Family." She said with a smile before leaving Holly to rest.

For the following ten days, Holly gained her strength back. With the help of Gertrude, she was able to appear healthy and walk long distances without becoming ill or tired. She learned to defend with the help of a trusted knight, and learned many home remedies with Gertrude's knowledge. It had been rough, but Holly was becoming herself once more.

"I need you to fetch me some peppermint from the woods outside. It is a mere ten meters from the servant's quarters-but I fear the Queen is asking too much and if I am not there...it will be highly suspicious."

"I understand. I will return soon." Holly threw a cloak over her and wore servants clothes before going to the woods. Retrieving the item and placing them in her basket, she glared at the item. Before her face went cold. Dropping her basket, she ran back to the castle to find all the servants gathered in the main hall. Staying hidden near a corridor, she peeked out and saw a wheelbarrow in the center-Vera hovering over it. The sheet was ripped back to reveal a deceased Gertrude, her throat had been cut and her expression fearful. Dirt was prominent on her clothes and face as Holly held her sadness by clutching her mouth. Vera gave a small eulogy of fake emotion before dabbing below her eye. Just as Dawson came into the picture. Seeing him fully sent shivers down her spine. He stood completely heroic-as usual with a stoic expression, with sadness in his eyes. Vera turned from the body as the servants dispersed-several moving away to cry, as Holly saw Vera slide coins to a knight.

"Good boy." She teased as the man turned and it was revealed to be the man who taught Holly to fight. Feeling as though she was truly on her own, Holly snapped.

Nightfall came quickly as Holly walked up the servants quarters and into the grand bedroom. The double doors-usually guarded, were left open-due to the false distraction of a fire- given by a paid servant. Holly entered the room to find Dawson and Vera sleeping side by side. Dawson had tossed and turned while Vera laid peaceful.

Lifting the knife in her hand, Vera awoke and gasped, also awaking Dawson, who gave Holly a gasp as well.

"This ends." Holly said with a shaky voice and touch.