Chapter Forty Four

Hiding behind thick trees, Nicholas and Dawson looked towards one another before seeing Holly tied near the fire. In a sitting position, her hands were tied on either sides of her, raised above her head as blood would drain easier this way. With Raven speaking an incantation of some kind, Dawson motioned for Nicholas to move to the other side of the camp. Using their skills of stealth, they took down each guard at a time until Raven and his most trusted four men were left standing.

"We will allow you to leave with your lives if you let her go."

"Dawson..." Holly mumbled as her wrists had already been cut. Nicholas looked angrily to Raven who gave a surprised look to the intruders.

Speaking in his language, Raven commanded his allies to go against Dawson and Nicholas as they fought hand to hand. Dodging hard blows and leg sweeps, Nicholas ended up ruining half the tents as Dawson tried to reach Holly. Eventually, the only ones left were Raven and Dawson as Nicholas was fighting Phoenix-one of Raven's closest fighters and confidants.

"I have something...something you will want."

"I doubt you have anything."

Dawson raised the vial and decree in his hand. "An elixir to heal any ailment...something you would kill for."

"And what stops me now? From killing you and taking it? Or killing you after I do?"

"That is what an agreement is. You can have this..proof it is genuine...and you never harm another soul."

"A steep price."

"For a steep exchange...Do we have a deal?"

Raven reached out, taking the vial and downing it before anything could be done. Dawson went to jump forward before Nicholas held him back-joining the scene after defeating Nicholas with a dagger.

"What are you doing?!"

"Watch."

Raven let out an "ah" before throwing the vial towards the fire and having it shatter into pieces. As Raven held a victorious smile and gaze to the duo, Nicholas looked back towards Dawson, as they both watched how Raven then began coughing. Blood began to drip from the sides of his mouth as he had fallen on his hands and knees.

"What have you done?"

"You should know..." Nicholas spoke as he moved closer to Raven. "Alchemists do not make deals." With a heavy foot, Nicholas kicked Raven into the raging fire as Dawson ran to Holly.

"You are alright...."

"Tired..." She spoke as she fell into his arms.

Dawson was thankful she was alive and carried her from the camp as she was asleep in his arms. Bringing her a safe distance from the location of their last battle, he set her near the water and supplied the liquid to her wounds. Wrapping them with parts of her dress, they ceased bleeding and she was left to heal.

"What did you do to Raven?"

Nicholas smiled.

"When she was taken, the alchemist awoke me..he knew I had been sick. He could tell we both cared for her...and offered me a...plan-"

"A devious alchemist?"

"They are not usually kind-especially to outsiders...but they trust their prophecy above all else..." He took a deep breath as he continued to play with the twig that was in between his fingers. "We drained a few vials of my blood...he kept a few for his own desire and he placed another in the vial you gave Raven. He then placed it with a plant that was poison...he would have died an excruciating death."

"And yet you kicked him into the fire?"

"What he was about to do to Holly...he deserved to know how it felt."

"Thank you...for helping us...for saving her-"

He took a deep breath. "I cannot help you, Dawson. Those allies fear the King. They will not go against him-not for anything...or anyone."

"Your fortune?"

"The King has power...and placement...and-things they all desire. The only thing to do is to wait for his death."

"It could be decades."

"Or it could be tomorrow. We must wait."

"We will be caught by then..."

"That is what I am counting on."

*WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS? DO YOU TRUST NICHOLAS? WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL BECOME OF DAWSON AND HOLLY? WILL THEY DEFEAT THE KING?