Chapter Thirty Nine

Careful not to wake any wild folk nearby, Dawson crept back to camp in the shadows. Slowly, he found his way to Holly's tent and slowly wrapped her mouth and then hands so she could not refuse. In the middle of tying the final knot on her foot, she awoke and saw his action and attempted to break free. Being unable to do so, Dawson lifted her over his shoulder and then removed her from her tent. Still covered by nightfall, he moved further into the forest until coming to a safe distance and placing her down. When he untied her, she punched him directly in the nose as he fell back. Regaining his gaze, he found she tried to run back. Being quite faster than her, as well as larger, he knocked her to the ground, holding her in place.

"Let me go!" She glared as she tried to bite herself free.

"Holly! Ease yourself! Collect yourself!" He spoke harsh as she blinked and suddenly appeared severely tired. When she regained herself to normal function, Dawson paced back and forth as she awoke.

"Are you alright?"

Placing her fingers upon her head, she gently rubbed before nodding. "What had happened?"

"I was hoping you could tell me...it was as if you were...in a trance." That very word made her gaze go wide towards him.

"What is it?"

"I recall now...Raven..." She froze as she collected the proper words to use. "He called me to his teepee and I sat in front of a fire with this incense-he called it. It had a bizarre scent-a mix between pine and smoke...and it was as if I was trapped within my own body."

"Did he do anything?"

"He only spoke...trying to convince me to...hurt others...to harm them...to harm you..."

"And you didn't agree?"

"Why is it such a surprise?"

"I am simply asking because it appears you were placed in a trance-unable to control yourself. What else did he ask? or speak of?"

"I rejected his offer-even in the trance. He had commented on how powerful my heart and soul was...my feelings for you-even given our...recent transgressions..." Dawson remained quiet as she continued, "He had then told me he would kill you if I ran...if I attempted to..."

"So this means that we are now hunted by half of this continent..."

"Probably more like 90% by now." They both chuckled before he rested upon a nearby tree.

"What would you get in return by killing someone?"

"He spoke of a fate within me. If I awoke it under his watch then he would "control my darkness"." She spoke in such a way that mimicked Raven's dramatic voice. "I can feel you, you know?"

"Feel what?"

"The rage...the fire...the wrath. I feel all of it without care. As if I am a candle burning to nothing but the wick..."

"You are not dark, Holly. You are a very beautiful light in this dangerously sinister world. I can see even now with the pain in your eyes, that you have a fight deep inside." He placed his hand upon her heart. "I can see it deep in there. You care more than anyone I know..." He took a deep breath. "Which is why I need to take you somewhere..."

They began a short journey about a league away as they discussed the wild folk. With her still dressed as she was, they realized that they would need other clothes to blend-and snatched some from a clothesline until they entered the nearby village.

"Are you in the mood for a drink?"

"A person-"

"I do not wish to be here while you a buy yourself a lady of the night-"

"As if I would." He glared as he pushed open the door and analyzed the locals inside. Scanning each person, he found they were all copies of the ones beside them. The bar maidens all hung with their bosoms attempting to seduce paying customers as the whores had sat on the laps of those they were interested in consuming for the night.

"No." Holly spoke as she moved out of the tavern. Her gaze has connected to Nicholas who locked his gaze to hers upon seeing her. "How dare you bring me to him!"

"He is the only one who can help us."

"I truly doubt that."

"The only one who has nothing to lose."

"Everything he did...and you feel as though you owe him? I truly believed you would put us first, Dawson-my feelings, the past to stay there...but you simply cannot do it-"

He pulled her back towards him. "You owe this to me. To smile when you would rather tear him apart."

"Why is that?"

"Because he did not always rape you. Did he?"

She stayed quiet.

"I never desired him."

"But he did not always force himself. I was blind to believe that you did not fall for the glamour he offered. I do not blame you for wanting to protect yourself-I blame you for hiding it."

"I did it to protect you."

"And yet, I ended up nearly dead twice...the things he knew about you...you owe it to me to convince him. I promise after this, I will ask nothing else."

"What is it we have to do?"

"Convince him to pay for our army to destroy the King."

"Ah...simplistic." She said sarcastically before Nicholas entered their vicinity, a drink still in his hand.