Chapter Twenty Four

Brushing her fingers along the curtains of the willow tree, Holly closed her eyes to enjoy the feeling. Imagining her perfect life, she thought of Dawson sweeping her in his arms and taking her away under the cover of night and removing her from her fears and current circumstances. Lost in her thoughts, she was startled by the sound of footsteps behind her. Turning quick, she let out a smirk as she saw it was simply Dawson. With his infamous smirk, she continued walking ahead before speaking as she was in motion.

"I can deduce by your stealth and lack of wincing, you are feeling better?"

"Much. Thank you."

"Can I speak to you in confidence?"

Such a question made her curious as she nodded, making her way underneath the low branches as he followed.

"I did not know for sure until today...But It was done intentionally-but I was not supposed to survive."

"You are acting mad! Why would he? Him and I-"

"He is intimidated in any man-any person in your life! Look what he has done...to Eleana, Amelia...me..."

"Perhaps you think yourself too highly in my list of relations."

"I believe you and I both know the truth in that..."

"I am not sure what you are referring to."

"The fact of it all, is that you cannot bare the thought of losing me."

"I do not wish you dead...but I do not care if you go."

"Is that so?"

She nodded.

"Then why cry for me?"

"I explained it-I do not wish you dead-"

"No. I saw the way you cried over Eleana...But you sobbed for me-begged for me-told me you loved me. Begged me to pull through to come back to you...so tell me now-in truth...what you truly want."

"Nothing."

"You are a horrid liar..."

"How dare you accuse me! I have told you my truth!"

"You have told me lies! And even scraping the door to death, you will continue to do so?"

Turning from her, she grew angry.

"I do not have to explain anything to you! I am married, and you are betrothed...we must continue to grow further in our lives-even if that means...growing apart."

"You are idiotic..."

"Pardon?"

He now turned to her, moving closer and closer to her, making her walk father and farther from him.

"You are nothing but a liar. I can read deeper in your eyes than you can lie. I can see that you are begging to be released from him...to be free to love without hiding...to care without guilt-to love fully."

"You think too much of yourself."

"I did not say it was for me-"

"It was implied..."

"But you spoke of it." He now had her pinned back against the tree. "I do desire to know why you lie. Why tell me you no longer love me?"

She pushed past him just before his lips brushed hers.

"It is the truth. I do not love you as I once did." This was the truth-to a point. She loved him stronger-something she didn't know, he knew. "I cannot look to you and see a man I can trust...a man who would choose me above all. For Nicholas...I can. I can see the change...the admiration."

"Are you willing to be his? To allow him between your legs each night?"

She glared. "That is not your interest!"

"It is...you and I both know why...so let us stop lying to one another. We both desire to be together..."

"You are mad...."

"Then kiss me."

"Pardon? Have you become deaf or just too stubborn to appear reasonable?"

"If you feel nothing, a kiss would be harmless. Nothing but a simple friendly reminder..."

"If I have to kiss you to remind you there is nothing between us...you are not only being immature but inappropriate..."

"I am not asking to get under your skirt...just a simple kiss..."

"I will not!"

"Then I will." Quickly, he moved towards her, sweeping her in his arms as their lips touched. Unable to fight the intensity, she ran her fingers through his hair before he gently set her against the trunk of the tree. The rough bark rested his hands as the other moved to her waist. Making his hand move up her spine, he set it against her neck as she let her head fall in his hand before he kissed her neck.

"I knew you felt this way...I knew you were lying."

As she pushed him off, her gaze turned to fear as he turned.

"Kira..."