Chapter Twelve

Each day since Dawson returned grew easier than the last. She would visit him and always bring him a hot breakfast full of fresh eggs and bread before bidding him good night with a soft kiss on the forehead. Some days he would talk to her for hours and they would go through their memories as children-but others, he would be unconscious from yet another fever. After a month of his sickness, she discovered his impending health was not her only concern. Just after saying good night to him, she heard a wailing coming from across the courtyard. Making her way through the dark, she saw how Amelia was placed on a large wooden trunk with her hand tied at its sides and a dark shadow circling her. Several men stood around her with torches and swords at their sides as vulgar comments were yelled to her. Moving closer, Holly saw how Amelia was bleeding profusely from her chest; her clothes having been ripped by the whip the figure held in his hand. As the man continued to speak, and the way he conducted himself, she knew without a doubt it had been Nicholas.

Watching with fear in her eyes and the fire catching her gaze, she watched on before bravely calling out to Nicholas.

"What is the meaning of this?"

In quick motions, Nicholas pulled Holly towards Amelia before throwing her at her feet.

"It is your fault, my dear. So very curious about my past...when you could just have asked me."

"I suppose you treating her this way proves that there was truth in what she told me." She brushed off her palms before glaring at him.

"You have too sharp a tongue, my darling. It is time someone put you in your place." As quick as his words ceased, he snapped the whip in her direction, slapping her wrist hard enough to make her wince. For a moment, she thought how strong Dawson was for not crying out from his many lashes. She turned back to him with a glare.

"Afflict any physical pain you want...it will not make me love you...nor will it make my outlook of you any better."

"I do not need your love for me, you fear me and that is enough, darling." Reaching back with the whip, a loud crack was heard before Holly could take no more. With every ounce of bravery she held in her heart and soul, she stepped in front of Amelia as Nicholas drew his weapon back and the men all watched in intrigue.

"Part away or you will be scarred worse than Dawson."

"She has been the only one of your people to show my kindness. Mark me as you will, but it does not prove masculinity, only that you are a coward."

"You trust Amelia, do you?" He scoffed. Moving towards her, he allowed her free by cutting down her arms before slowly wrapping his whip around his hand; allowing the blood to soak into his skin.

Holly nodded before seeing Amelia's shameful expression.

"Did Amelia explain why she was here to begin with?"

"She was caring for her siblings."

He moved back on his heels with a chuckle. "Siblings? They are not her siblings, they are her children...the children she had with me...when her and I were married."

Holly glared to him before looking to Amelia to prove the story wrong.

"You told me how it was difficult for you to raise them because you were only a child yourself-how your mother was killed-That is the truth...is it not?"

"No." Amelia said shyly as Holly moved her hands to her sides.

"I do not understand why she remains here...it does not make-"

"It would not, wouldn't it dear. The truth of it is, Amelia was my third wife. We knew one another since we were teenagers and I fell in love with the attention she gave me-and if only you could learn her methods..." Gripping her jaw, Nicholas then forced a kiss as Amelia looked away. "The reason I allowed her to stay was due to the fact she was the mother of my children-the ones my family does not know about...I intend to keep it that way." He gave a threatening look towards everyone before enclosing his harsh gaze back to Holly. "I pitied her...so naive-much like you...but you are much braver...something I admire."

In shock and hurting from betrayal, Holly turned to leave before Amelia cried out for her forgiveness, "Please, I wanted us to be close-to be allies...I never meant to lie!" But before anything else was heard, Holly turned to see a figure in the doorway of the barn.

"What are you doing on your feet?"

"If I do not, I will forget how to use them." He teased as he winced with his movements.

Tears filled her eyes as she assisted him up to his loft to rest in his own bed.

"Will you please tell me what they have done to you..."

"It will not change anything-"

"I will know. I take comfort in knowing...please, Dawson-"

Slowly, he lifted his hand to her cheek before shaking his head.

"I will not fill your pure mind with such disturbing thoughts...besides, I would rather spend the time we have together talking about us...not what has kept us apart..."

"I cannot focus on anything but the injuries they caused you and I will not cease until you explain it all." Folding her arms in front of her, she glared to him as he moved slowly towards her-trying not to feel the pain that was forcing its way to his body.

"The pain began when I was first brought into their cold dungeon. I realized then how truly far I was from your warm touch. No feeling is more torturous than that of being away from your touch."

"That is not fair."

"I have never claimed to be." He spoke as if it was an innuendo before she rested her forehead against his.

"I am very happy you are better...but you must vow to me that you will not go to war again. It gives Nicholas too many opportunities to take you from me, and I suppose he will desire to harm me in any way after I spoke to him in the way I did this night..."

"If he tries to harm you again, he will have to endure my wrath."

Moving back, she placed a small kiss upon his cheek before moving to the steps and then looking back towards him.

"Rest well."

"May the angels grant you the sweetest of dreams." He spoke in return as she blew him a kiss and left him to heal in the loft.