Chapter Twenty

The morning came and went quick as Holly was desperate to see Dawson again. Out of desperation, she peeked through the stalls before finding him using a pitchfork to move hay from one side to the other. Expecting a joyous hug, he motioned for her to stay away before motioning to a candle lit high behind her. Moving to it, she found a small letter under it as he then motioned for her to leave. Taking the note, she did as requested before arriving in her room. The second the door closed, she tore open the letter to reveal it spoke of them needing to be apart for her safety. It was revealed that Nicholas suspected her of being with someone close-and that Nicholas began to trust Dawson. For the majority of the letter, this was explained in detail, but towards the end, Dawson spoke of the reason they had to stay apart;

"Even if he believes us being siblings...I cannot keep my touch from you...I beg you understand and remain patient in both heart and spirit." Signed Dawson.

Upon hearing heavy steps outside her door, she threw the letter in the fire lit high in her room before the door coming open.

"Swell! I am so excited you are better..."

"How was your journey?"

"I apologize for not speaking to you when I returned...I actually arranged a surprise..."

"A surprise? For me?"

"In a way..." He said with a squint. "You spoke of wanting happiness and I vowed to give that to you."

She nodded. "Will you force me to guess?"

"No need...it will be presented at dinner. I suggest you dress into something different."

She nodded before Amelia helped her dress.

"Can I count on your discretion?" Holly asked as the final lace was tied tight.

"Of course."

"You told me this before."

"I owe you my life, that is a debt I intend to pay."

"I will do everything in my power to not allow it to come to that."

Amelia nodded as Nicholas stood in the doorway, acting as a little child on Christmas morning-anxious for his presents. Despite this anxiousness, he moved slowly down the stairs to reveal a guest at the table. A woman close to Holly's age who had long blonde hair pulled together by a beautiful silver crown.

"My darling, this is Princess Kira."

"Your highness..." Holly bowed as Dawson had entered the room. Taking a seat across from Holly, he looked to her with surprise as she returned the glance.

To not discredit her husband before the prized guest, she turned to Nicholas and whispered in his ear-politely using her fan to block the suspicion.

"You are allowing him to eat with us?"

He nodded with a large smile never leaving his face. Even as he ate. Picking up a piece of chicken with his fork, Holly took a sip of wine as Dawson's gaze fell permanently to her. Leaving a smirk before picking up his own glass, she turned her gaze to Kira.

"Your majesty, what graces us with your presence this evening?"

Her gaze shot instantly to Nicholas who finished his own drink before flashing a gaze to Amelia before forcing her to refill his cup.

"There are no need for such formalities, dear. Kira is a good friend and ally to this family-to our family." Dawson glared at the sound of it-something Holly did not miss. "I invited her here to dine with us for the night. I cannot believe I forgot my manners...this is Dawson...Holly's brother."

"Oh. Pleasure." She extended her hand as Dawson politely kissed the top of it as Holly felt immediately cautious.

"Dawson is one of my best allies as well, he is even allowing me the pleasure in learning his fine challenge skills."

"You duel?"

"Only once..."

"He is being quite modest. For over a month, he has been teaching me techniques...he is quite impressive with steel."

"Perhaps you can show me sometime."

"I would not suggest it for a...a royal..."

"Were you meaning to say "woman"?"

"I would not speak in such a sexist nature...I was simply searching for a correct word."

"I am simply teasing. I am not new to holding a weapon...I used to play Wolf and Archer with my brothers in our grove...they were far faster-as they were also quite older...but I would prefer if you would teach me...it is only fair a woman knows how to defend herself..."

"He would be delighted." Nicholas answered for him as Holly swung her gaze in surprise.

"It would be a pleasure." He said with a smirk before looking to Holly to see a glare moving towards him.

"You two make a dashing duo." Nicholas spoke as Holly glared towards him in confusion. "I cannot contain the news any longer..." He clinked his glass before standing at his feet. All eyes moved immediately to him. "The formal reason I invited us all here tonight was to seal the alliance between Kira and Dawson."

"Alliance?" Holly asked as she held her drink up.

"Marriage, my darling. The marriage between my two closest friends."

Holly froze, her glass lingering in the air as her own oxygen had left her body.