Chapter Fifty One

"Everything is beautiful!" A female guest exclaimed as she entered the grand ballroom in the castle. Each piece of cutlery had been colored silver and the flowers, table cloths, and curtains were a ruby wine shade. The dresses themselves ranged from lavender to black, but Holly wore the most lavish one. Showing just the edges of her shoulders, it sculpted her torso quite well and puffed out towards the waist in a ballgown shape. She looked similar to a silver Christmas ornament-but everyone's eyes had been upon her. Dawson stood at her side, giving a large smile, and allowing her to take his arm-but they had not looked at one another for the majority of the night. Dawson was livid that Holly did not trust him and Holly was furious that Dawson cared more for a common girl than his own wife.

The evening carried on quite well as the guests mingled and danced to the orchestra. Music hummed through the halls as dinner was then served and thanks were given to each guest. Dawson named each one and thanked them with a whole heart as Holly agreed.

After dinner, the tables were moved and the dancing was in full swing. Eight containers of wine had been emptied-allowing the guests to become easy going. Holly danced several times with her husband, while they finally spoke-but about the guests and the food-avoiding their true issues.  Everyone looked to them in awe, even Vera-who was sitting on a chair in the corner, fixing a part of her dress. Holly noticed that Dawson's attention seemed to focus on her and did not care for appearances; rolling her eyes and trying to walk away, Dawson pulled her back.

"Continue to watch." He turned her so she had a better view and showed how a man approached Vera. The man stood somewhat tall and wore a tailored red uniform with a hat under his arm. Greeting her and seemingly gaining her pleased impression. Holly smiled and gave a kind look to her distant husband.

"Why have you done this?"

"I realize my words to you were unkind. You saved my life and for it, you dealt with wrath...anger from a place you have nothing to do with."

"What do you mean?"

"I am angry for so many things that I cannot change. I am furious in the fact that I did not protect you as I should have. For it, you-"

She slid her hand on his cheek as she interrupted him. "My darling, I feared your heart was wavering towards her. She is younger, far more enticing, mentally intact...as well as able to have children-I suppose."

He placed his finger under her chin. "No. The only thing she is, is wounded. As you were, for some time. I just wanted to protect her because I could not do that for you."

"So you chose a suitor..."

He nodded. "To allow her security...and allow us to remain strong." He smirked before pulling her into the hall. The music from the party had lingered in a muffled sound behind them as he set her beside a raging torch.

"Do you remember when it would be Eleana's birthday?"

Holly glared, trying to recall.

"We would wake up before the sun and cook the most awful tasting pastries; complete with dirt and flowers and sugar. I remembered how it always made you smile. That is all I wanted for her."

"Please tell me you did not use dirt-"

He chuckled. "No. After some time, I actually learned to cook. My time working at the Auvere residence actually. I was forced to do that or starve."

"You will have to make me one of those infamous Dawson pastries at an instance..."

"Why hesitate?"

"It is rude to leave our guests..."

"They will not notice....Come..." He pulled her down the hall and into the kitchen where flour remained on the table from previous baking. Lighting the oven up, he withdrew himself before removing his jacket and rolling up his sleeves. Requesting she pull her hair back, he instructed her to make the dough and bake it slightly before placing the filling. Using strawberries, she placed it in until it nearly overflowed and they waited for it to bake.

Her back leaned against the counter as he moved towards her.

"You are quite darling with flour upon your forehead." He spoke as he removed it from her. "Yet, remain enchanting..." He placed his hands behind her, underneath her arms. "Although, this is not a surprise, as you always do-"

Pulling him to her, they smashed against the counter as he grabbed her face to deepen the kiss. Sliding his tongue into her mouth, she let out a moan before he began to unbutton her dress. Kissing her neck while doing so, she pulled her hair to one side before then being turned back by him. Her dress fell to the floor as she placed her hands on his chest.

"Someone may come upon us." She spoke, out of breath.

"We must make haste then." Lifting her leg to his hip so it just reached the counter behind him, he slid down his pants as she pulled at his collar to kiss him. He moved himself gloriously and pleasurably in the perfect motion to cause her to grip him. Just as he gripped her leg enough to mark her, the smell of the pastry overcame them and he lingered against her.

"It may burn..." She said with a slight chuckle.

"It would be well worth it."

Finishing the act in full, he redressed as she did the same and they removed the pastry to find it perfectly golden. Sprinkling sugar on top, he cut it so it oozed onto the counter and blew on it before feeding her a bit.

"I truly hope you do not do every thing we did with her." She teased.

"Darling...I save every bit of energy to follow you." He returned the banter as they shared a final kiss and returned to the dance.

Upon entering, Holly saw how Vera appeared particularly happy. She was being led around the ballroom by the soldier who had been quite taken with her. He was a complete gentleman and knew each step perfectly. In her eyes, he was the perfect suitor. When he turned her, Holly went cold.

"Nicholas?"