Chapter Fifty Five

The words played in Dawson's mind on a continued loop; "I am carrying your only chance of having an heir." He had not slept in nearly four days and it was beginning to take its toll. Aside from snapping at servants, he became distant from Holly-unable to be around her without wanting to beg for forgiveness on his knees. The thought weighed on him like nothing else.

"Dawson?" A timid voice asked as Vera emerged in the library. Dawson spent most of his time here, telling everyone to leave him unattended so he could create strategy without interruption-which in a way, was true. Vera entered the room, leaving the door ajar before coming closer towards him. "I wanted to discuss the plan for our child-"

"Do not refer to it as such."

"What else am I supposed to call it?"

"A child. But whatever happened between you and I was not out of love, it was because I was heavily influenced by alcohol-and nothing more. I have never had romantic feelings towards you." In a cold expression, he walked on the other side of his desk. "I do not care what is inside there." He pointed towards her stomach. "I only care about Holly-and there is NOTHING that will EVER change that!"

"Is everything alright?" Holly asked upon entering the room. Dawson fought back his angry tears and moved towards her, kissing her cheek.

"Of course, my love." When Holly saw Vera's hand on her stomach, she gave a quizzical look-just as Nicholas entered. Seeing the scene before him, he saw the fear in Dawson's eyes and took Vera's hand.

"I am so grateful everyone is together. Vera and I have received news of having a child together."

Holly's face lit up as Dawson gave Nicholas a thankful glance. Vera gripped his hand tight, but he ignored it.

"Forgive my surprise, this was not something I had expected." Holly said as she hugged Vera, and then Nicholas.

"We had not either." Vera said slightly upset.

"We were unsure until this morning, but wanted to allow those closest to us to know first. That, and the fact that I have asked Vera to be my wife-and she has graciously agreed."

Vera's eyes went wide as Dawson held back a chuckle.

"We wanted to ask you both if we could become married on the castle grounds."

"Of course!" Holly spoke with tears in her eyes, feeling proud of the duo in front of her. "I am so excited for you both-everything in my soul tells me that you two were made for one another!"

Without a word, Vera was pulled from the room by Holly as Nicholas and Dawson were left alone.

"I owe you a great deal."

"No. You have knighted me and given me a clean path."

"Why did you say those things? You could have simply kept quiet."

"I told you, Holly has been through too much to have anything break her heart again. You two deserve to be together, even if you have had a transgression or two..."

"One...a single dumb mistake that I wish I could take back more than anything-"

Dawson then filled Nicholas in on what he discovered about Vera and Nicholas slowly nodded. "I suppose I could find out what her motives were..." Nicholas voiced his opinion. "Perhaps applying a little pressure upon her would allow-"

"No torture."

"I have my ways. But I promise to not harm her."

Dawson shook his hand as he suddenly felt a slight weight lift from his chest. Leaving the library as night had fallen dark, he went to his and Holly's chambers to find her sitting at her vanity. Her long dark hair had been strewn over her shoulders and laid nearly to her lap. A small wave had been permanent in her locks as she did not look up to Dawson as he entered the room or spoke.