Chapter Eighteen

CLASH! The silver tips of the blades clung together with a loud crash as Holly watched on with little to no interest. Catching her gaze on vultures that swooped from above or the servants who would be bringing horses to and from the stables-she found everything more intriguing than dueling. That was until Nicholas called Dawson to be his next opponent. Holly then jumped to the end of her seat with a large gulp as she Dawson in the silver armor and sword pointing towards Nicholas. Nicholas looked at him then to Holly with a smirk as she gave a nervous smile in return. Hitting the tips of the blades together on each side, a horn was then blown as the duel began. Instantly, Nicholas lunged at Dawson, using all his energy in the beginning before forcing his opponent to lose his balance. Standing over him, he placed the blade towards him as Dawson moved at the last second, causing the blade to hit the ground beside him.

Moving up to his feet, he saw a vulnerable spot on Nicholas, and hit him with the butt of his blade, sending him directly to his knees. Very quickly, he attempted to rise before feeling the blade against his throat.

The crowd was silent-including Holly as they watched in fear for Nicholas's fate. Nicholas began to belt out a laugh as Dawson helped him to his feet.

"You are quite the opponent, stable hand...Perhaps you shall be my sparring partner from here on out..."

"It would be an honor." He spoke with a bow before moving back to his loft as Nicholas was called to a meeting with his parents. In her available time, Holly desperately tore herself from the seating and followed Dawson's path before snatching a sword that sat against his wardrobe before gently placing it upon the ground.

"Perhaps you could teach me to use one..it may just be of use one of these nearer days..."

"The day you must use a blade to defend yourself, my life would no longer be in existence."

"A woman should know how to protect herself...perhaps it may save my life if only I could defend myself..." She asked dramatically as he smirked before placing his clothes upon his bed and turning back to her. Just as his eyes analyzed her figure, he noticed the stockings upon her legs.

"I see you are impatient and curious as ever..."

"I had missed you too terribly to not find comfort in your belongings."

He smirked before moving behind her, squaring her hips and placing the weapon in her hand.

"You must know your opponent before claiming a fight. Allow them to attack first, to grow tired, and when the moment presents itself-you must strike. If the moment shall come that you attack first, do so with slow movements-and never leave anything exposed. Be a continuous motion that is impossible to hit."

She nodded as he sparred with her using a board and allowing her the sword. Practicing slow at first, they eventually became quick matches with her knocking the board from his hands or even sticking it with her blade. In a motion so quick, she was frozen for seconds with confusion, he used the board to knock the blade from her hand before having it land in his.

"You are watching, but also not thinking ahead. You must have your next three moves planned before striking back. Have alternatives if one were to attack you and never leave yourself without a weapon of some kind-even if it is the very dirt at your feet."

Very quickly, he brought the blade to her chin and gently tiled it up.

"Would you spare my life?"

He drew the blade to her chest. "I suppose I could, as the condition of your body would be a shame to harm...." Moving closer to her, he brought the sharp edge to her corset, cutting it down the middle as she began to breathe fast. Feeling the fabric drop to her feet, she was pulled against him before she resisted his kiss-placing her finger against his lips. "I shall thank not..." She moved towards his bed and leaned back with her arms behind her before crossing her legs. Giving her a seductive gaze, he moved towards her before pulling her leg towards him and using his strength to tear a rip in her dress before kissing her skin. With her neck falling back, she suddenly heard the sound of boots coming up the stairs as his lips touched her neck. Pushing herself away from him, she hid herself underneath the bed just as Nicholas entered his room.

"I have a proposition for you...something that alters your time for cleaning the dung and hay..."

"It already peaks my interest, my lord."

"Splendid! I have heard of your fighting style only by rumor-but I have seen it first hand today and am truly impressed. Nobody has forced me to my knees in quite some time-perhaps, since I was a mere lad...and now...you have done it without falter."

"My lord? I am not quite sure what the proposition is..."

"I desire you to teach me of your ways with the blade. I will learn quick, but wish to know extensively of your knowledge. You knocked me down within a minute...as I forced my best and did nothing but give you opportunity."

"I would be honored."

"We shall begin at sunrise tomorrow."

"My lord." Dawson said in agreement before bowing his head and moving towards Holly. Assisting her from the floor, he pulled her towards him before she placed her hands upon his chest.

"We were almost discovered....now is not the time to risk something once more..."

"When can I have you in my arms again?"

"Soon. But it appears to me...you have an obligation to Nicholas first...whoever would have conjured the thought of you teaching him to fight..."

"I would much rather be with you."

"As would I...but it does make the moments we do share that much more anticipated."

He nodded before pulling her in for a sweet kiss.

"Until our next moment."

"Until then." She said with a smile before descending down the stairs.