Chapter Twenty Three

With arms outstretched, Holly awoke with a long stretch before finding the smell of fresh pastries to pull her towards her door. Pulling open the large oak door, she was tempted by several arrays of different dough-based desserts. Sugar, strawberry, apple, and her favorite-cherry with cream drizzle. Taking a moment to bask in the scent, she began picking at them as her eye caught a letter underneath the tray.

"If you are feeling better, and only if, would you favor me today with your presence at the duel? If so, your throne is awaiting you and it begins at noon."

A smile fell over her mouth as she felt as though she had been a princess. The feeling of being lavished and free at the same extent felt beautiful. Singing birds, rushing water, even the bells ringing from the church miles away that would usually annoy her, made her feel as if she had no worries. She saw how Nicholas could potentially be everything she could want-but she could not erase Dawson from her mind.

Dressing for the day, she made her way towards the arena to find a cushioned chair underneath a large visor for her to be comfortable. A jug of wine sat beside her along with a foot stool and a maiden to fetch her whatever she desired. Upon seeing her, Nicholas ran across the arena floor and moved to her, jumping over the gate.

"I am filled with so much joy that you could be here...I can promise it will be a duel to remember."

"I do not doubt you will impress us all."

"Only if I can have your favor..." He set his lance towards her as she saw Dawson's gaze in her general direction. Placing her leg on the gate beside Nicholas, she drew up her dress before untying her garter and tying it onto the end of his weapon. Giving her a smirk, he then kissed her cheek before jumping back over the gate and preparing for the duel. Servants prepared the horses as they were set with armor-copying that of the riders. It was then, Holly discovered that Nicholas was dueling against Dawson. Kira mimicked Holly's favor as she was met with a stern glare as the riders took their places. A horn was sounded as the entire ring became silent.

"Challenger against challenger. First to be knocked completely off their horse will be eliminated." A man called loudly before moving from the middle of the field as the jousting began. Both men charged at one another, their lances breaking immediately upon hitting the armor. Returning to their posts, they were given replacement weapons before heading at each other once more. This round, Nicholas's lance broke, sending him jolting back slightly, but still remaining on his horse. For the third round, they both readied quick and charged at one another. As quick as their horses took off, Dawson was thrown back, Nicholas's lance still in his side.

Placing everything in the past, Holly leaped from her sitting position and ran towards him, kneeling by him as blood moved from his mouth. A medium-sized wooden sliver was protruding from Dawson's side, slightly covered in a crimson shading.

"Dawson!" Holly screamed as he was then carried by medics to a tent in the far distance as they immediately operated on him. Applying several drugs and herbs to him, Holly waited by anxiously to hear news of any kind as Nicholas begged for her forgiveness. She explained how she knew it was not intentional-but her priority was seeing a returned health. He allowed her to do so, as she stayed by his side day and night.

"Holly?" A hoarse voice asked as she ceased her pacing and flung to his side. Tears flooded her eyes as he quickly pulled her towards him with his good arm. "Why are you upset?"

"I am racked with guilt for my treatment of you...You are the most important person in my life. I love you." She said with tears pouring down her cheeks. He placed his arm around her as he pulled her onto the platform with him. Laying her head against his chest, she fell asleep to the sound of his heartbeat.